Român, românesc, româneşte

Discussion in 'Română (Romanian)' started by bieq, Sep 12, 2008.

1. bieq

bieq Senior Member

I have a question. Can anybody explain to me the differences between Român, Românesc, and Româneşte?

I guess that Român means Romanian man, as nationality, but it can also be an adjective. Now, according to the dictionary, Românesc is also an adjective. And, about Româneşte, then it says it's the adverb, but I can't undersand the use of each word. Could anybody give me examples?

Thank you =)

PS: How do I delete a post I already opened in another thread?
  2. pro_niger Senior Member

Madrid, Spain
    A romanian man (un român ) wears traditional romanian clothes (port tradiţional românesc ) and speaks romanian language (vorbeşte româneşte ).

Not the best example but maybe this will help you understand a bit. Romanian is a tricky language.
  3. bieq

bieq Senior Member

Yes, quite a tricky language I must say and, to be honest, I can't understand the differences between româneşte and românesc. They are both adjectives to me. Sorry...

But thank you!

4. robbie_SWE

robbie_SWE Senior Member

Trilingual: Swedish, Romanian & English
    That's where you get it wrong.

An adverb can not be used to substitute an adjective (and vice versa). Here are the explanations of the words provided by DEX (hope you understand what they say, if not please let me know and I'll provide some translations :)):

Hope this helped you see the subtle (drastic some might say) nuances of these three words.

:) robbie
  5. OldAvatar Senior Member

Româneşte is an adverb, not an adjective.
  6. bieq

bieq Senior Member

It's me again, bothering everyone!

Look, my doubt is this; in English we say "Do you speak Romanian?" and here, the word Romanian would be a noun, or am I wrong?

Now, in Romanian, you people say "Vorbeşti româneşte?" and, according to what I have understood out of all, the word româneşte is an adverb, right?

So, why can't I just use the noun Român (which denotes nationality) instead of the adverb Româneşte (which denotes something that, so far, I seriously can't understand :()

Thank you so much and sorry

Ben :)
  7. pro_niger Senior Member

Madrid, Spain
    Român refers to persons, you cannot use it otherwise. The word might denote nationality but you cannot use it when talking about anything else but people.
  8. OldAvatar Senior Member

No. It is still an adverb. It's not a noun.
  9. bieq

bieq Senior Member

Would you explain to me why it's still an adverb? I'd really appreciate it. :)

10. kernowseb

kernowseb New Member

Cornwall / Kernow
    England English

Put simply an adverb adds information to the verb: in this case româneşte is describing the way you are speaking, in the Romanian way, not an adjective which would describe an object you are referring to."Vorbeşti româneşte?" would literally mean "Do you speak in the Romanian way or style?"

Using all 3 in one clumsy sentence:

Ţăranul român vorbeşte pe româneşte despre viaţa românească, meaning
    The Romanian peasant speaks in Romanian about Romanian life

It doesn't help that in English we use the same word when in Romanian there are 3 words used with 4 separate uses: a noun român, an adjective român to describe a person and the language, an adjective românesc to describe objects, and an adverb româneşte to describe the way someone is speaking or writing.

Hope this helps!
  11. bieq

bieq Senior Member

Yes, your example was quite clear. I now understand the use of each word. Now, does this happen to other names as well, such as Spanish, Chilean, Italian, and Russian, among others?

Ben :)
  12. marian1954 Member

A shot correction: Romanian (noun) don't use this way to express themselves. Ţăranul român vorbeşte (pe) româneşte despre viaţa românească. the normal expression is: Ţăranul român vorbeşte româneşte despre viaţa românească
    a noun român - româncă; o româncă - două românce (articulated= românce), un român doi români (articulated=românii).
    an adjective român to describe the characteristics and capabilities ISTORIA ROMÂNEASCĂ; limba română/Romanian language;tot ce e românesc nu piere/all is Romanian won't disapear.
    an adverb româneşte a vorbi/a scrie româneşte; a se purta româneşte/to behave in a Romanian way.
  13. vex New Member

I want to make some observations about the problem "Român, românesc, româneşte".
    1. The noun which design a man born in Romania is "român". It has these forms: român (masc. sg.), româncă (fem. sg.); români (masc. pl), românce (fem. pl.) (in English there are only two form, for singular and plural: Romanian,s). For the other nationalities there are also four forms, with different structures: englez, englezoaică, englezi, englezoaice; american, americancă, americani, americance, francez, franţuzoaică, francezi, franţuzoaice etc.
    2. The adjective connected to România (or to any country) has ussually two parallel forms: român/românesc, francez/franţuzesc, englez/englezesc. I don't know any particular rule tobe sure when you should use the first form and when the second.
    a. The adjective "român" has these forms: român (masc. sg.: jucătorul român-the romanian player), română (fem. sg. cultura română-the romanian culture); români (masc. pl. jucătorii români-the romanians players), române (fem. pl. Ţările române-the romanian countries).
    For other nationalities this adjective has different forms: jucătorul francez, englez, cultura franceză, engleză, jucătorii francezi, englezi, jucătoarele franceze, engleze, etc.
    b. The adjective "românesc" has these forms: românesc (masc. sg.), românească (fem. sg.), româneşti (masc. and fem. pl.)
    a romanian song- un cântec românesc, franţuzesc, englezesc
    a romanian poem o poezie românească, franţuzească, englezească
    some romanian songs nişte cântece româneşti, franţuzeşti, englezeşti
    some romanian poems nişte poezii româneşti, franţuzeşti, englezeşti.
    3. The adverb "româneşte" should be translated "like a Romanian": vorbeşte, gîndeşte, simte, acţionează româneşte (he speaks, thinks, feels, acts like a Romanian). The same siuation for other nationalities: vorbeşte, gîndeşte, simte, acţionează englezeşte, franţuzeşte, ruseşte (he speaks, thinks, feels, acts like a French, like an English, like a Russian).
    Note: You was right; Romanian it's a noun in "He speaks Romanian"; If you try to translate exactly "he speaks Romanian, French, English etc." you should say "el vorbeşte româna, franceza, engleza etc." (in this case româna, franceza, engleza are nouns). The form with adverb (el vorbeşte româneşte, franţuzeşte, englezeşte) is specific to the Romanian language and that's why is hard to understand it if you aren't native speaker.