1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Romania/Rumania/Roumania

Discussion in 'English Only' started by audiolaik, Sep 17, 2009.

1. audiolaik

audiolaik Senior Member

Poland
    Poland, Polish
    Hello,

I've always thought that the only possible spelling is Romania. Unfortunately, I was unaware of the existance of other acceptable variations, such as Rumania and Roumania. According to the following source, the last two sound archaic.

Do you agree with that, dear native speakers?

Thank you!

Audiolaik

2. Trisia

Trisia mod de viață

București
    Romanian
    Native speakers of what? :p

This older thread quickly turned into a discussion of the spelling: which/who joined the EU in 2007

The WR dictionary mentions all three versions.

(I know it's perhaps of little interest since you want to know what the English speakers think, but I can tell you most Romanians -- in my experience -- prefer it "Romania" in English, and find the other two spellings dated. We find it acceptable for people to write "Rumania" when writing in Spanish. Otherwise, many will frown).

3. audiolaik

audiolaik Senior Member

Poland
    Poland, Polish
    Thank you, Trisia, for digging out the thread. It's really frustrating when one does not include the word that is supposed to be discussed in the title.:mad:

4. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    This is one of those style questions where there's no definitive answer - you just follow the dictates of whoever is paying your salary or grading your paper.

U.S. newspaper style (by the folks who use ink by the tank car load) is Romania.

5. entangledbank

entangledbank Senior Member

London
    English - South-East England
    In Romanian (a foreign language, so largely irrelevant), it is Ro-. For some reason, I'm not sure what, the French has the vowel , therefore the spelling Rou-. Mapping this onto English spellings, the English spelling used to often be Ru-. In fact all three spellings circulated.

Something happened in the 1960s, but I can't recall what. The Romanian authorities said they preferred to be called Ro- even in English - or something else. Sorry, I can't recall what it was.

Today, Ro- is the most common spelling in English.

6. AngloSaxonSerf New Member

English
    I hear/see Romania these days but I too recall it being Rumania when I was a boy.
    Is this ,incidentally the source of the word Romany?

7. ewie

ewie Senior Member

This septic isle!
    NW Englandish English
    I always spell it Romania (I even pronounce it /rə[FONT=Arial Unicode MS,code2000,lucida sans unicode]ʊ'me[FONT=Arial Unicode MS,code2000,lucida sans unicode]ɪ[/FONT]n/) ... except when I'm writing Yeah, and I'm Queen Marie of Roumania!

(Romany's a different word, Serf, ultimately from ... well, from Romany rom = 'man'.)
    [/FONT]

8. AngloSaxonSerf New Member

English

9. zullabooch New Member

California
    English
    In 1945 I was assigned to the Allied Control Commission for Rumania (note spelling). At that time, the British used ROUMANIA and the Americans RUMANIA. After the war, the Romanian government, preferring the old connection to the Romans, made an official change to ROMANIA.

10. Egmont Senior Member

Massachusetts, U.S.
    English - U.S.
    Welcome to WRF! I bet it's been a while since anyone called you a "junior member" of anything! :)

(I remember 1945, though I wasn't in the work force yet then.)

11. Stillhouse New Member

English
    I was State Dept desk officer for Rumania/Romania in the sixties. The Rumanian embassy asked help changing US practice to Romania (they wanted to show cultural tie to the West in this Cold War era). I made the case to the Board of Geographic Names and eventually succeeded. Some publications, e.g. NY Times, were slow but eventually complied.

12. DonnyB

DonnyB Senior Member

Coventry, UK
    English UK Southern Standard English
    When I was at school in the 1960s doing O level Geography, we all called it Roumania, but if I remember correctly Romania was accepted as a permissible alternative. But I certainly haven't seen the Rou- version used anywhere for years.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013