Rsrs, hahaha, lol, kkkk

Discussion in 'Português (Portuguese)' started by lisa2332, Mar 8, 2007.

1. lisa2332 New Member

Bom dia,
    How can one write the sound of laughter in portuguese? I know for example in Spanish it's "jajaja." For Portuguese however, I've looked it up in a few places and I keep getting "ah!," but just one. Does the "ah!" mean an entire stream of laughter? or does it need to be repeated like "ahahahah"?

Sorry, I know this is a weird question.
    Muito obrigada.
  2. Ediroa

Ediroa Senior Member

Spanish Spain
    They sometimes write "rsrsrsrsrsrs" or "hahahaha" but I'm not native, maybe you should wait for other answers ;).
  3. Vanda

Vanda Moderesa de Beagá

Belo Horizonte, BRASIL
    Português/ Brasil
    Hi Lisa,

Most of us use the English hahaha... but we find ah-ah used as laughther,
    ah! for admiration, sadness, doubt, fright in the grammars.
    For a good laughter: rá rá rá, quá, quá, quá.
    On internet, people prefer: rs rs, kkkk.
  4. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    Prescriptive grammarians say we should write "Ah, ah", but that looks ridiculous to me, because the aspiration is clearly before the vowel when we speak, and because "Ah!" is an interjection showing comprehension in Portuguese. I write:

These are onomatopoeia, so I don't think their spelling is too crucial. Take your pick.
  5. MOC Senior Member

I would write something like "ahahah" but not necessarily all of the times. I also see the other suggestions given by Outsider being used.

As for looking ridiculous because of the sound not being exactly as that, I honestly don't go that far in the analysis of the sound. If I find something funny I'd write that regardless of it being perfect or not. I never knew there was a norm for that.
  6. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    I would agree that there are no norms for writing onomatopoeia. In all fairness, the sound of a laugh isn't exactly [hahaha], so the spelling "ahahaha" is as good as most any other. Perhaps my dislike of "ah, ah" is due to being influenced by English. ;)
  7. Vanda

Vanda Moderesa de Beagá

Belo Horizonte, BRASIL
    Português/ Brasil
    Funny, Out, because this is my feeling from a certain period of time to now. I think rsrs is lighter than hahaha (just my perception, I am not saying it is). So, whenever I want to sound as bursting out in laughter I prefer the English form or the kkkk.
  8. MOC Senior Member

I was going to post a similar post which I eventually didn't because I thought people were going to find me silly, but if I'm not alone, why not? :D

The suggestions provided by Outsider all feel different to me. "ahahah" or "hahaha" would be bursting out in laughter. "hehe" would be slight amusement like "cool". "hihi" would be a "I've been naughty" laughter.
  9. Vanda

Vanda Moderesa de Beagá

Belo Horizonte, BRASIL
    Português/ Brasil
    As we are in topic... I do agree. When I use hihihi, I am being very naughty and when I use hehehe hehe I am being sarcastic and naughty besides amused! Ah, the nuances!
  10. pinqpoq Junior Member

portuguese - portugal
    Yes, I would go with you, MOC
  11. HTK Junior Member

Brasil - Portuguese
    Hi... there are many ways of expressing a laughter in Portuguese, especially in chats. Some of them are:
    rsrsrs - (stands for 'risos' = smiles) so one is not necessarily 'laughing'.
    hahaha - one is laughing
    hehehe - a kind of a 'sarcastic' laughter
    hihihi - a discreet, almost hidden laughter
    when you want to 'laugh out loud', you can use kkkkk or huahuahua or even hiahiahia
    rá-rá-rá (3 times, with a pause in between, and the 'r' pronounced as it is in Spanish) - an ironic laughter, when you do not find something funny, and you wish to express this, not laughing, but pretending that you are laughing.

The above is not a rule... this is how I understand these onomatopoeic expressions.
  12. Alandria Senior Member

Brasil - São Paulo
  13. FranParis

FranParis Banned

Français - France
    Hey, why are you laughing so loud here? People on the other fora are wondering..
  14. Sebastian Dangerfield New Member

USA, English
    How does the Brazillian Portuguese slang "rsrsrs" when typed from a girl to a guy translate into American English?
  15. Vanda

Vanda Moderesa de Beagá

Belo Horizonte, BRASIL
    Português/ Brasil
    Welcome Sebastian, :)

rs = risos (laughter) in internet language.Everybody types that on internet.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
  16. Denis555

Denis555 Senior Member

Cracóvia, Polônia
    Brazilian Portuguese
    "rsrsrs"(BR) = "lol"(US)
  17. ayupshiplad Senior Member

Scotland, English
    Evening all,

I really am completely bewildered by this!!! Is it meant to signify laughter in some random way?

18. Ricardo Tavares Senior Member

Português - Brasil
    Yes. This is suposed to be the sound of laughters. Very used in Brazilian chats.... Something like LOL (Laughing Out Loud)....
  19. ayupshiplad Senior Member

Scotland, English
    In that case...there is a chat in the cultural discussions bit of WR about conversation fillers. Online (never spoken) 'lol' is used when there is nothing else to really is a conversation filler! Is it the same with rsrsrs?

Also, why is it so random? Like (sorry!) I just don't get how it's meant to sound like laughter!! I'm very confused :(
  20. uchi.m

uchi.m Senior Member

Redeeming limbo
    Brazil, Portuguese
    Hello, ayupshiplad.

is chatspeak. It resembles the Portuguese word risos.

The more frequent the repetitions of those two letters, the louder is supposed to be the laughter.
  21. ayupshiplad Senior Member

Scotland, English
    Ahhh that makes SENSE!! I was just thinking of it being like hahaha/hihihi/jajaja and didn't really see how that sounded like laughter! Thanks for clearning it up! :)
  22. Macunaíma

Macunaíma Senior Member

Um ninho de mafagalfinhos
    português, Brasil
    As uchi.n said, it's an abbreviation for risos. I guess rs is repeated in order to make it plural somehow (rsrsrsrsrs = a LOT of laughters). I was startled when I first saw it too. Sounded like the person at the other end was choking on a fishbone, but then I was told what it was supposed to mean and now I'm used to it.
  23. avok

avok Banned

I've always thought that "rsrsrsrs" is the "sound"!! Since Brazilians pronounce the initial "r" like "h", rsrsrsrs would be "hshshs" which kind of sounds like a laughter.
  24. Lost_in_Words Senior Member

Portuguese (Eur.)
    I think "rsrs" is a Brazilian forma of Lol. If you're interested in knowing "how" do we laugh in im/chatrooms it is by using "LOL" (most of the times). The other forms indicated here are also correct, i.e., ahahah, eheheh. But "Lol" is widely used.
  25. Alandria Senior Member

Brasil - São Paulo
    rs= risos.

O falante decide qual vai escrever. As pessoas CRIAM suas formas de rir na net. Pessoalmente gosto de usar o "hauhuhauauahuhauhaua", dá mais intensidade.
  26. sueshoe New Member

Madrid, Spain
    United States, English
    How do you laugh in Portuguese? Like, what would be the equivalent of 'haha' or 'hehe'? Are there any laughing-related abbreviations, like "lol" (Laughing Out Loud), or other such expression that people use to express written amusement?
  27. Bahiano

Bahiano Senior Member

In chat speak you'll encounter *rs* or *rsrsrs* which stands for riso (laugh).
  28. Frajola Senior Member

Braz Portuguese
    for Laughing Out Loud, you can use a string of letter 'k', as in kkkkk!
  29. sueshoe New Member

Madrid, Spain
    United States, English
    yay! thank you both. why 'k' though...? just curious.
  30. MrsCarmody New Member

Ericeira, Portugal
    Portuguese - Portugal
    O que significa no Português do Brasil "Rsss"?

31. Macunaíma

Macunaíma Senior Member

Um ninho de mafagalfinhos
    português, Brasil

É abreviação usada em mensagens instantâneas, como LOL em inglês.
  32. MrsCarmody New Member

Ericeira, Portugal
    Portuguese - Portugal

Já recebi vária mensagens de uma amiga do Brasil que acabavam dessa forma e nunca lhe tinha perguntado.

Obrigada de novo ;)
  33. slippers New Member

Estou participando de um forum sobre orquideas e a lingua oficial é ingles (US) e frequentemente os participantes escrevem essa expressão: LOL. O que significa?
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
  34. hiwelcome Senior Member

France, Portugal
    France French
    Lot of laugh
  35. fernandobn97007 Senior Member

Rio de Janeiro
    Portugues - Brasileiro
    LOL = "laughing out loud" = rindo muito alto, dando risadas
    LMAO = "laughing my ass off"
    Veja outros acrônimos
  36. slippers New Member

ok, obrigada.
  37. slippers New Member

38. darlanxavier445903 Junior Member

Portuguese - Brazil
    Ohh, I feel stupid :S
    I thought LOL was the uppercase version of lol, who is a person with arms wide open... but I see it isn't ha ha
  39. the-summerwind Junior Member

Bom día a todos!
    Só tenho uma pregunta um pouco estranho, como se expresse uma risada/riso no computador/ internet em português? Por exemplo, em inglês é "ha ha ha" e em espanhol é "ja ja ja " e tambem há expressões como 'lol' (laugh out loud) e em françês é mdr (mort de rire). Em bref, como posso expressar essa emoçião em português?

40. Vanda

Vanda Moderesa de Beagá

Belo Horizonte, BRASIL
    Português/ Brasil
    Veja a longa discussão sobre este assunto nos posts acima do seu. ;)
  41. the-summerwind Junior Member

obrigagda Vanda!
  42. SubLangwhich2 New Member

Spanish, English
    Does any one know what srsrsrs stands for? I sent a friend of mine a message saying: Muito obrigado você é uma senhora muito simpática and she responded: srsrsrs. I don't know what it stands for. Can someone help me. Thank you.
  43. Vanda

Vanda Moderesa de Beagá

Belo Horizonte, BRASIL
    Português/ Brasil
    Welcome to the forums, :)
    rsrsrsrsrsrs - laughing

I've merged with a discussion about the subject.
  44. SubLangwhich2 New Member

Spanish, English
    Thank you Vanda, that was very nice of you to respond so quickly. I appreciate it! Obrigado!
  45. Audie Senior Member

Brazil Portuguese

Muita gente também gostaria de saber a origem do "kkkkk".

Penso que seja uma simplificação do "quáquáquá".
  46. Vanda

Vanda Moderesa de Beagá

Belo Horizonte, BRASIL
    Português/ Brasil
    E é! Com a falta de acentuação nos celulares e a economia de texto, a simplificação correspondente seria a letra com o mesmo som, pelo menos aproximado.
  47. Audie Senior Member

Brazil Portuguese
    Os portugueses utilizam também o "kkkkk"?
  48. englishmania

englishmania Senior Member

European Portuguese
    Não. Nem o "kkkkk" nem o "huahauahuahau" nem o "rsrsrsrsrs" nem o "jajajaja/jejejeje". Normalmente escrevemos "lol/looool" ou "ahahah", "hehehe"...
  49. almufadado

almufadado Senior Member

Português de Portugal
    Os nossos putos usam mas só no SMêS ... ops ! or not :

50. pygn New Member

Lisbon, Portugal
    US English
    How do you write "haha" - i.e. the sound of someone laughing - in European Portuguese? I know in Brazil it is "rsrs" but is it the same in Portugal?