Ruhuna Fatiha

Discussion in 'Türkçe (Turkish)' started by FlyingBird, Aug 6, 2013.

1. FlyingBird Senior Member

I can see it written in tombs

Ruhu=His/her soul
    Ruhuna=to his/her soul
    Ruhuna=to your soul

İs it correct?

And what 'Fatiha' mean?
  2. ancalimon Senior Member

Fatiha is a Muslim prayer.
  3. FlyingBird Senior Member

so it would mean 'Fatiha to their soul'?

But still dont understand it
  4. Stranger_

Stranger_ Senior Member

It is like giving a eulogy in Christianity. "Fatiha" is the name of the first chapter in Quran.
  5. ancalimon Senior Member

It's like when you read Fatiha prayer to someones soul, it would be good for him. It's just a Turkic custom. I'm not sure if Arabs have this custom or not.
  6. Gemmenita

Gemmenita Senior Member

This is almost all Moslems' religious custom and belief all around the world.
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  7. ancalimon Senior Member

I'm saying this because most Arabs don't go to graves to give prayers. Most don't even know where their relatives are buried. So I take it's more a cultural tradition than a Muslim one.
  8. Gemmenita

Gemmenita Senior Member

Oh! I was talking in general. (Maybe you agree with me on that) to say that it's not only a Turkish custom. And I don't know about what you said and of which Arabs you are talking (I mean of which country, because we have Arabs in many nationalities)!
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  9. ancalimon Senior Member

I mean it's not related to Islamic tradition. What we do is related to Turkic tradition regardless of our religion. By Arabs, I mean all of the Muslim ones that are not influenced by Turkic culture a lot. I think most would even look down upon such behaviour.

By saying "it's just a Turkic custom" I didn't mean "it's a custom which only the Turks have".
  10. Gemmenita

Gemmenita Senior Member

I don't get what you have exactly in your mind about Turkey's religion and Arabs and other Muslims, neither I don't know about your personal religion. But I know that Turkey is one of the Muslim countries in the world : (the part of Religion) and this is exactly regarding their religion that they do that.
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  11. Reverence Senior Member

Even though the custom of visiting graveyards and paying respects to the dead has a certain prominence in Islam, Arabs in general are not big on practicing the custom, as far as I can tell. See, they had these rather peculiar habits which harkened back to the pre-Islam ignorance era and entailed freaking out and/or bragging about the dead on graveyard visits; for this very reason, graveyard visits were even forbidden during the first years of Islam. The ban was lifted after a while, but it never got its popularity back in Islamic communities. Except in Turkey, where we always gave due to the departed, Islam or no. Practice was slightly different before Islam, but the spirit was largely the same. After Islam became the major religion among Turks, visits were gradually adjusted to Islamic instructions. Nowadays the more elaborate practices are mostly abandoned, but many Turks still make a point of gathering the family and visiting their relatives' graves for a couple of prayers, mainly the sura Fatiha, and a few minutes spent tending the graves every now and then. Things, say, a Vehhabi couldn't care less about for the most part.
  12. ecdadihifzeylerdi Member

Refusing graves is a Wahhabi tradition and there are only two Arabic countries who are predominantly Wahhabi: Saudi Arabia and Qatar. Some El-Kaide type of extremist jihadi groups also rejects grave yards and tombs, and destroy them when they can. The majority of Arabs have graves and Fatiha is very important for them as well and written on their tombstones. I even heard that you need to recite Fatiha in order to enter Masjid-i Aqsa mosque in Jerusalem, to prove that you are a Muslim.

Fatiha means opening or opener, as it is the opening prayer of the Qur'an. It is considered as the most important prayer in Islam.
  13. MetinS Member

Simply asks the bypassers to cite Fatiha for his/her soul.
  14. thelastchoice Senior Member

Arabic S.A.
    This custom can be found in Arab countries BUT it is considered Bid'ah بدعة as it is a innovation to Muslim practices and was not practiced by niether Prophet Mohammad صلي الله عليه وسلّم nor his companions. When a Muslim dies, you can pray for him But Reciting AlFatihah is a عبادة Ibadah "Islamic Act of worship" that will benefit this deceased Muslim is an innovation "Bid'ah" as it is a clear Islamic rule that: العبادات توقيفية i.e.: Ibadat or "acts of worship" are based on tawqeef توقيف which means that it it is not permissible to worship Allah, may He be exalted, through any act of worship unless this act of worship is proven in the shar‘i texts (Qur’aan and Sunnah) .
  15. OEDS-KZ Member

Russian - Northern Kazakhstan
    Also Turks say Ruhuna El-Fatiha.