Rule for feminine nouns in the genitive plural

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by Apa2001, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Apa2001 Senior Member

English, as spoken in New Joisey
    What is the rule for the genitive plural of feminine nouns ending in -я not-ия?
    Спасибо большое,
  2. Maroseika Moderator

Looks like you already know the rule. But тётей is not plural genitive, it is singul\ar instrumental (Я доволен своей тётей).
  3. Apa2001 Senior Member

The Oxford Russian dictionary gives it as Тётей(Page 513). I believe you, as you are a native Russian. I am straining my non-Slavic brain trying to think of nouns ending only in -Я. Only names come to mind-Таня, Катя итд.
    Неделя-недель is the rule, correct?
    Thanks again.
  4. Awwal12 Senior Member

Moscow, the RF
    Yes, it is. )
    Actually, the Russian Orthographic Dictionary says that the both variants (тёть and тётей) are possible (!), but for me, "тёть" sounds much more natural, here I agree with Maroseika.
    Well, "пашня" (pl. gen. "пашен" (!)), "доля" (pl. gen. "долей"), "соня" (pl. gen. "сонь", common gender), "тихоня" (pl. gen. "тихонь", common gender) will do.
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  5. Apa2001 Senior Member

Great! Thanks Anwal!
  6. Maroseika Moderator

Strange enough, but that's the fact.
    I decided to check some other words and found out, for example, that Pl. Gen. for тихони из тихоней and not тихонь! Even without variants, though I'd never say like that.
    The rule happened to be not as evident as seemed to me.
  7. Awwal12 Senior Member

Moscow, the RF
    Well, one rule I has just deduced is that the noun ending on "(any consonant)+ня" (unstressed) would give "-ен" in plural genitive.
    пашня - пашен
    башня - башен
    басня - басен
    бойня - боен
    штольня - штолен
    колокольня - колоколен
    песня - песен

P.P.S.: the same ending (C+ня) when being stressed gives quite irregular forms: шестерён, шестерней, пятерней, мотней. And even when it is unstressed, there is an alternative pl. gen. form "тройней" ("троен" will do as well). That's a total mess... :(

(P.S.: but looks like there are exceptions again: барышень, боярышень. Probably animated nouns won't do?..)

As for "-ь or -ей" - this general question seems to be much more difficult...

According to the Rus. Orth. Dictionary at, both "тихоней" and "тихонь" are possible. Anyway, I am surprised. o_O
  8. kurtik New Member

English - US
    Different forms can compete or co-exist in a language - it seems that тётей / тёть is an example of this.

I learned Russian as an adult in the US and we were always taught only тётей (and дядей). If you go to google's ngrams tool (you'll need to google it, as a new member I can't post a link!) and type in тёть, тётей and choose the Russian corpus, it suggests that in printed materials at least, тёть was much more common until the mid-1920's, but тётей has been favored since then.
  9. marco_2 Senior Member

As for "-ь" in such cases I was taught that there are only four exceptions: барышень, боярышень, кухонь, деревень, apart from them we don't put miachkiy znak when the noun in nominative singular ends with any consonant + ня (unstressed).