Runned over by (run over by)

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Masuas, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Masuas Senior Member

Does anybody know if this is an old expression that was modified at one point in time?
  2. Masuas Senior Member

To make it clearer...I know the proper form is " got run over".
    I'm talking about 100's of years.
    Thanx again.
  3. Nunty

Nunty Modified

Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    Please provide the full sentence and tell us about the context. Thank you.
  4. Masuas Senior Member

I was refering to the Xmas song: grandma got run over by a reindeer...
  5. JamesM

JamesM à la Mod

"Got run over" is a more casual form of "was run over". "Got" is often used in casual AE to replace "was": "She got fired yesterday", "They got married last week", "I got pulled over by a cop." ("Got" also replaces other things but that's another topic.)

"Run over" is a common phrasal verb. I'm not sure what your question is. Are you asking how old "run over" is as a phrasal verb?
  6. mplsray Senior Member

Runned as a past participle and runned over are in the Dictionary of American Regional English, Vol. 4, by Frederic Gomes Cassidy and Joan Houston Hall, under the entry ran:

Sth is "South" and S Midl is "South Midland." Its oldest cite for runned as a past participle is 1835.

Under that same subentry, it has a cite from "1986 Pederson LAGS Concordance (Principle parts of run [past participle])...Runned over."

So it is basically a nonstandard, mainly regional US usage, and is rare--it isn't given in Webster's Third New International Dictionary, Unabridged, for example.
  7. Masuas Senior Member

Well, actually, my question simply is: was it ever, maybe in antiquity, used in this form....runned a horse, reindeer or the torrential waters of the Amazon.
    Is it an arcaic form?
    Thanks again.
  8. Masuas Senior Member

Thank you Minneapolis Ray ( I assume this). Hey that's beautiful. My previous reply was for JamesM. I guess it was used, when used, in any form to indicate such an action? You don't have to answer that. Thank you so much. Regards to Nicolette.
    Merry Xmas.
  9. JamesM

JamesM à la Mod

It is a colloquial form. It's not unusual for irregular verbs such as "to run" (run, ran) to be "converted" into regular form in a regional dialect (run, runned). "Teach, taught" becomes "teach, teached" and "catch, caught" becomes "catch, catched". In some ways it's a much more logical way to look at verb conjugation.

It is not something I have run into in the King James Version of the Bible, for example. I don't think it was standard at some time and then was preserved in some dialects while the verb became irregular in standard English. As far as I know, verbs often move from irregular to regular over time but not typically from regular to irregular.
  10. GreenWhiteBlue

GreenWhiteBlue Senior Member

New York
    USA - English
    I have no idea why the completely irrelevant "runned over" was introduced into this thread. The original question was about "got run over". The form "got run over" is common. "Got runned over", on the other hand, is not common at all, nor is it the phrase used in the song that was mentioned.
  11. Masuas Senior Member

Thank you very much for your analysis JamesM.
    Very interesting this regularity of the irregular.
    Merry Xmas.
  12. mplsray Senior Member

The original title of the thread was, in fact, "Runned over by", so that form was introduced by the original poster. You can see this in some of the early replies, where it remains in the line "Re: Runned over by".
  13. JamesM

JamesM à la Mod

[moderator note: I apologize for the confusion. The first context given was "Grandma got run over by a reindeer..." so I assumed the original thread title was wrong, but it was indeed "runned over" that was the subject of the thread. I have modified the original thread title to include both.]