1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Running is good for you

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by Fennek, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Fennek New Member

English - England, French - France
    Hi, I started learning MSA by myself 6 weeks or so ago, but there are some very basic concepts that I have not yet grasped.

For example, how would one say 'running is good for you'? This confuses me, as I do not know how to whether to use إلى in the 'for' part or whether there is another word. Also, when one talks of something having a general result for all people, such as 'eating too much is bad for you', is أنت used, similar to English?

Furthermore, is there a rule for changing verb forms to fit into nouns related to the actions, such as 'to run' going to 'running' or 'to study' going to 'studying'. Does it involve adding an alif?

Lastly, are there any good websites out there for learning Arabic grammar? I bought the Easy Arabic Grammar book, but it doesn't go very far. What are some good resources?

Sorry if I didn't use the right terms, I'm quite ignorant when it comes to linguistic terminology. Thanks in advance.

2. djara

djara Senior Member

Sousse, Tunisia
    Tunisia Arabic
    Welcome to the forum.
    Please start by consulting the "stickies" on resources and forum rules. These are the first three threads in the Arabic forum.

3. cherine

cherine Moderator

Alexandria, Egypt
    Arabic (Egypt).
    Yes, the resources sticky has some valuable online resources for learning Arabic.

As for your questions:
    Yes, there's another particle: لـ (the letter laam). You say:
    الجري مفيد لـ and add the pronoun or the noun you need.
    There's a different type of pronouns called الضمائر المتصلة which are used linked to the previous words or particles. For "you", it's the letter ك .
    So, "for you" is لك in the singular (laka for masculine, and laki for feminine), لكم (lakum) for the masculine plural, and لَكُنّ (lakuuna) for the feminine plural.
    (there's also dual, but I don't want to scare you away :) ).
    There are a few patterns, but I think you'll need to wait some more before getting there. For the mean time, it can be better if you learn the verb with its noun form (maSdar) مصدر .