"Running" vs. "in succession" vs. "in a row" vs "straight"

Discussion in 'English Only' started by thyname, Jul 10, 2012.

1. thyname New Member

What's the difference between "running", "in succession", "in a row" and "straight"?
  2. perpend

perpend Senior Member

American English
    The difference is context. Do you have some context?
  3. thyname New Member

I want to know which one of them to use in certain situations, so it's you who I'd like to give me context ;)

The given expressions look like synonyms to me but they are most certainly not - that's what I want to figure out and remember.
  4. perpend

perpend Senior Member

American English
    No, it's in the forum's interest that you provide context, since you want to acquire knowledge, and without context, knowledge is hard to acquire, and it's at minimum a guideline if not a rule that you give some context when you post a query. :)
  5. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

American English
    Fortunately, we have an "in context" feature to help you find context in contemporary published works. Here are the instructions, but it's as easy as typing your word or phrase in the Search box and when the page is displayed, clicking the blue "in context" link right below the word or phrase.

If you find sentences that confuse you, bring one or two back here and ask about them ... and please remember to quote your source. Thank you ... and welcome to the forum. :)