Russian then Polish OR Polish and then Russian?

Discussion in 'Other Slavic Languages' started by dopehooks, Oct 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dopehooks New Member

English - Canada
    For the life of me I can't decide which to learn first, Polish or Russian. I intend on learning both languages, I just don't know which would be the better language to start with.

Would having a Russian base help me learn Polish faster than having a Polish base to learn Russian?

I've posted a few threads already regarding Slavic languages and learned quite a bit, but that extra knowledge has also made the decision even harder. So I've come here again.

If it's any help, I don't know any Slavic language already. The languages I speak are English, French, Portuguese, Arabic and German, I also know some basic Turkish and Farsi, like ask for the bathroom and some bad words lol. So I do have some understanding about different world languages and scripts, so the fact that Russian in Cyrillic doesn't bother or scare me at all.

Like I said, I intend on learning both languages fairly well and just want to know in which order I should try and learn them and why you would suggest this order.

I've decided to post this thread here, rather than the Polish and Russian boards for obvious reasons. :p

2. Duya Senior Member

Not in WR world
    Whatever
    It's more or less a coin toss. If you're so much into languages already, I don't see that either order would make much difference. They differ about as much as French and Portuguese, maybe even less.

3. dopehooks New Member

English - Canada
    Yeah, sure, I have a knack for languages but I'm not gonna learn either of these languages in a year or so and then move on to the next. The language I choose will takes years and I wouldn't be considering the next one for another few years if anything. Also, the language I choose will be my first step into the Slavic world and culture, it will be the stepping stone and basis I set in my mind about how I interpret about all things Slavic. Anything Slavic I learn after this language will be naturally compared to the first Slavic language I learned. Which is why I really want to get this right.

I get what you mean comparing this situation to French and Portuguese; yet I found Portuguese so much easier than French, even though I live in a bilingual region (English and French). I started learning Portuguese knowing a little French and Portuguese actually helped me grasp concepts in French that alluded me before, and in turn helping me improve on my French several fold.

Are there any people on this forum that have studied Russian after Polish or vice versa?

4. BezierCurve Senior Member

Since you're new to Slavic languages, maybe it would make sense to start with Polish, that way you'd save yourself extra struggle with the script while starting to get familiar with the language. Then, when you'd already have some idea about one Slavic language, I guess it would be a tad easier to learn the next one using a different script. Just a suggestion.

5. VelikiMag Senior Member

Serbian - Montenegro
    Only an English native speaker could provide an answer which would be relevant for your case. But even then it's an individual impression, not a general rule. Both languages are quite complex, maybe for start you'd find Polish a bit easier because of Latin script. Also, Russian has some peculiarities which make it more different to English than Polish. But again, there might be something about Polish that I'm not aware of. What I know for sure is that you will need plenty of resources. Knowing someone who speaks either of those languages would help you a lot. That way you could get all the explanation in person.

6. TriglavNationalPark

TriglavNationalPark Senior Member

Chicago, IL, U.S.A.
    Slovenian (a.k.a. Slovene)
    MOD NOTE: Now that you've received some input, I'm closing this thread because such broad and open-ended topics dedicated primarily to personal advice are somewhat outside the scope of our forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.