1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

ryhtyköön

Discussion in 'Suomi (Finnish)' started by Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Extra Virgin Olive Oil Senior Member

Pariisi
    kiina
    I am not sure what "ryhtyköön" means in this conversation on a cartoon:

Wife: Kyllä sinun täytyy mennä puhumaan pojalle! Minä olen niin huolissani mitä hänestä oikein tulee! ... Mutta hän valehtelee, huijaa ja ajaa vain omaa etuaan!
    Husband: Olen menettänyt jo toivoni... Ryhtyköön poliitikoksi kun kerran haluaa.

Does he mean that he needs to start being a politician?

2. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA
    No, it's more like a command: Ryhtyköön politiikoksi kun kerran haluaa = "Let him become a politician, if that's what he wants."

3. Kirja Senior Member

Finnish
    I find it necessary to note that "ryhtyköön" may perhaps have also a rude tone. For example in the phrase you gave: "Ryhtyköön poliitikoksi jos kerran haluaa". If you'd like to really capture all the subtleties (though it's not exactly possible as English and Finnish are so different), you could translate it: "Let him become a politician if we wants to, I don't care". The suffix "-köön" in this context gives the phrase the sense that the person saying it doesn't care what the other person does/says.

Also "kerran" underlines this sense.

P.S. A typical "I couldn't care less" -structure with all possible nuances would be like this:

No ryhtyköön vaikka poliitikoksi jos kerran lystää.

It's extremely careless and even arrogant. So, the elements are:

- No (yes, it means literally "well", but in Finnish, you can use it to start a statement/phrase)
    - ryhtyköön (the verb ryhtyä = start, commence) with a suffix that has a declarative tone
    - vaikka (this word has several meanings, but in this case, it's part of the structure/phrase and shouldn't be questioned... :D I suggest that in this case, we shouldn't get stuck in translations :D)
    - jos kerran lystää (if that pleases him. But "lystätä" has an arrogant tone. "If that happens to please him" could also be a good translation)

The meaning/message of this phrase (No ryhtyköön vaikka poliitikoksi jos kerran lystää.) is simply: "Let him become a politician if that pleases him so. I couldn't care less". But the elements I mentioned are one of the Finnish ways of saying it. But I would like to remind you that this phrase is a bit arrogant.