said my <piece / peace> [+say]

Discussion in 'English Only' started by francais_espanol, Jun 30, 2008.

1. francais_espanol Senior Member

Canada, English
    Hello,
    I'm having another moment where my anglophone mother tongue brain is failing me:

Is it:
    "I have said my piece" (piece being the opinion, remark, comment I want to share with people) or
    "I have said my peace" (peace being "I would like to close my comments on a peaceful note") ?

Thank you in advance for your help.

2. liliput

liliput Senior Member

Spain
    U.K. English
    ...my piece.
    say one’s piece give one’s opinion or make a prepared statement

3. mjscott Senior Member

I've thought it to be to say one's peace. It has to be with having no peace as long as you have something to say, but don't say it. Once you have expressed fully what is bothering you about the situation, your mind is at peace--whether it changes anything or not, you've said all you need to say--you've said your peace.

Either way, it makes sense to two different English speakers as to how you spell it and what you mean by it.

4. nichec

nichec Senior Member

Chinese(Taiwan)/English(AE)
  5. liliput

liliput Senior Member

Spain
    U.K. English
    I've never considered that it might be peace. The explanations offered as to what that might mean look pretty flimsy to me. I think there may be some confusion with the term "to hold one's peace" meaning to keep silent, but the logical opposite is not "to say one's peace".

Having said that, the ubiquitous Google search only throws up only 10,000 more references for "say my piece" than for "say my peace" (102,000,000 versus 92,000,000), although many references seem to be people asking the same question.

The definition given in my previous post comes from the OED, which makes no mention of an alternative spelling/meaning.

6. sound shift Senior Member

Derby (central England)
    English - England
    Purely anecdotal, I know (but so much of this forum is): I have never come across "To say my peace". :confused: