sail / sailing date

Discussion in 'English Only' started by cesrob, May 7, 2007.

1. cesrob Senior Member

Good evening!

Which is correct?
    "the sail date is June 3rd" or " the sailing date is June 3rd" ?

I presume the second is correct but today I received an email from an American guy who used the first sentence so now I'm doubtful....

2. JamesM

JamesM à la Mod

"Sail date " is use in the import/export business and in cruise line documents and on cruise line websites. I think "Sailing date" would be understood, though.
  3. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Sailing date sounds normal to me - in fact, date of sailing sounds even better.
    There is a strong sense of AE about "sail date".
  4. JamesM

JamesM à la Mod

Interesting. A search on on UK-only sites shows nearly twice as many entries for "date of sailing" than for "sail date", but four times as many for "sail date" than for "sailng date":

4,330 "date of sailing"
    2,820 "sail date"
    746 "sailing date"

On I got the following results:

16,800 "date of sailing"
    1,430,000 (!!) "sail date"
    495,000 "sailing date"

Perhaps "date of sailing" is distinctly British English?
  5. sloopjc Senior Member

UK English
    In Spain my Google page defaults to and they differ significantly to yours JM.

Results 1 - 10 of about 16,500 for "date of sailing".
    Results 1 - 10 of about 104,000 for "sail date"
    Results 1 - 10 of about 500,000 for "sailing date"

My results for sail date are less than a tenth of the results you quoted, making sailing date the most popular. :confused:
  6. JamesM

JamesM à la Mod

I'm very sorry. Thank you for double-checking the numbers. I must have made a mistake with my quotation marks on "sail date." I re-ran the search and got only 98,300 hits.

It seemed odd to me at the time to have over a million hits. I should've re-checked it then. :)

I agree - it looks like "sailing date" is much more popular than "sail date." I would still expect "sail date" on business paperwork, though.