1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

salaire net / salaire brut

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by livy83, Aug 20, 2008.

1. livy83

livy83 Senior Member

Amherst / Paris
    France, French
    Dear all,
    I know there are threads about salaire net/brut already but none of them seems to be very definite, so I'd like to ask again, and to native English speakers preferably:

- salaire brut = gross salary, is that right?
    - salaire net = ??

Thank you all for your help!

2. wildan1

wildan1 Moderando ma non troppo

salaire brut = gross salary
    salaire net = net salary, salary after deductions, "take-home pay"

3. livy83

livy83 Senior Member

Amherst / Paris
    France, French
    Great, thanks Wildan1. Any difference in the use of these three translations of "net"?

4. wildan1

To me they all mean the same thing; "take-home pay" is more informal but not really slang.

5. SoupleCommeLeVent Senior Member

In France, the "brut" is the gross, before deductions and tax
    I think that "net" means the amount you take home after deductions (which I think is equivalent to National Insurance (NI) in the UK), but this doesn't take account of tax.
    Tax is not paid under PAYE like in the UK but everyone fills in a tax return at the end of the year.

In contrast, in the UK, gross means before tax and NI, and net means take-home pay ie after tax and NI have been deducted,

Therefore the main difference is that "net" in France has not had tax taken off, but in the UK "net" has already been taxed.

6. Stakhanovec

Stakhanovec Senior Member

Lyon
    French and Russian
    Ahhhhhhh now it's more clear... Thank you all for your input !

7. orlando09 Senior Member

France, PACA
    English (England)
    On this topic of net and brut salary, I'd like to ask what the average French person is thinking of when someone says "my salary is...". In England it usually refers to gross (brut) salary over a year; in French it is usually the monthly amount, but is it more the net or the brut that is normally understood if it is not specified? I'd say it's more often the net?

8. livy83

livy83 Senior Member

Amherst / Paris
    France, French
    Yes, I agree, most people I know (and myself) usually refer to their net salary per month when they mention it in a conversation...

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  9. wildan1

In the US, gross salary is always the amount mentioned when talking about one's income.
    In AE I make $75K means you are paid $75,000 per year before any deductions.

I net $750 a week
    is how you might explain your take-home pay, but that would only be mentioned in a specific context.
    (Many people talk about their income in terms of weeks and not months),

10. VanOo

VanOo Senior Member

Paris, France
    Français - France
    I've noticed that it differs from one group to another. When I speak with people who work in public companies or schools, they use net salary per month. Engineers (myself included) or human resource people use the gross salary per year.