Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by Qcumber, May 5, 2006.

1. Qcumber Senior Member

UK English
    Is there an Arab-speaking country where people say salamat for "thank you" instead of shukran?
  2. MarcB Senior Member

US English
    Not that I know of but it is thanks in tagalog.
  3. ayed

ayed Senior Member

Here are some Indonesian expressions:
    Selamat pagi "Good morning"
    Selamat sore "Good day!

Selamat talam"Good night/good evening"

Selamat dating"Welcome"

4. Qcumber Senior Member

UK English
    Yes, MarcB, I know salamat means "thanks" in Tagalog, and some claim the term was borrowed from Arabic, including a Muslim Filipino who told me salamat means "thanks" in Arabic, and is more Islamic than shukran. No dictionary supports this view so I dismiss his opinion as that of an ignorant man. All the same I often ask this question in various sites to be sure because other people might have the right answer.

From what Ayed writes, one can admit that Malay salamat was borrowed from Arabic because the meaning is about the same as that of as salaam 3alai kum. It is however difficult to imagine a situation in which "hello" would be confused with "thanks". Hence the problem with Tagalog. :)
  5. cherine

cherine Moderator

Alexandria, Egypt
    Arabic (Egypt).
    Hi Qcumber,
    The word "salamat" is the plural of "salam" which literaly means "peace".
    The Islamic salutation "as-salaam 3alaikum" means "peace on you". If non-Arabic muslim speakers changed the meaning of this word (as happen with many words) this doesn't mean that it originally mean "thanks".

But if your Filipino friend wants a «more Islamic than shukran» than their is "jazaka Allahu khayran" جزاك الله خيرًا (for singular, the plural is jazakum, the feminine is jazaki...) It means : May God retribute you well, or with good things.

To say it short : no, the word salamat -as far as I know- is not used in any Arabic speaking country to means "thanks". If someone tells me salamat after I give them something -for example- I'll take it for a "good bye" :)
  6. victoria luz

victoria luz Senior Member

What about Teslam? (Might it possibly have the same root as salamat?)

Being the only way I heard people using to say thanks, besides the above mentioned two.
  7. elroy

elroy Motley mod

Chicago, IL
    American English, Palestinian Arabic
    In Palestinian Arabic, we you "yislamu ideek" (or just "yislamu/yislamo") as a way to express "thanks." The response would be "Allah ysallmak."

"Tislam" can be used to express appreciation for something - which I guess is very similar to thanks.

For example:

-Iza '3tazet ishi, iTSel fiyyi. (If you need anything call me.)
    -Tislam ya rabb.
  8. zooz

zooz Senior Member

Arabic & Syrian Arabic
    تِسْلَمْ (colloquial) doesn't mean exactly شكراً, but it's definitely closer than سلامات.

After thinking, يسلمو & يسلِّمُن (Syrian & Lebanese colloquials) are widely used as شكراً. In MSA it'd be سلِمتْ يداكَ/يداكِ.
  9. Qcumber Senior Member

UK English
    Thanks a lot for this new crop of data.

The case of Tagalog salámat is all the more puzzling as the the Maranaos of Mindanao (Southern Philippines), who are Muslims, have salámat for "thanks", but asalam alaikum for greetings as well as the verb salam "greet".

The Tausugs, another Muslim people of the Philippines (Jolo), have salam "greet", salamat "safe, free of danger" (cf. Arabic ma3a s salaama(t) "farewell"), and the verb sukul "thank".
  10. zooz

zooz Senior Member

Arabic & Syrian Arabic
    We use this widely as well.
  11. cherine

cherine Moderator

Alexandria, Egypt
    Arabic (Egypt).
    To add to what Zooz said, I'd say I find this interesting :
    Interesting indeed :thumbsup:
    Thanks for sharing :)
  12. edwardintoronto New Member

russian, english
    in tagalog salamat means thank you prob because it was used as in saying 'be healthy' as a form of expressing gratitude. salamat also means soundness in arabic. this way of saying thank you is also found in turkish 'sag ol' i.e. be healthy. my guess is that in old arabic salamat literally meant health.
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  13. 3arabi New Member

the word Salamat means HELLO in arabic .
  14. xebonyx

xebonyx Senior Member

I would use "salaam" as hello, rather than use "salamat". :)
    If I heard it said like that, I'd automatically think someone was trying to say "get better" (said when someone is sick--"salamatak").
  15. elroy

elroy Motley mod

Chicago, IL
    American English, Palestinian Arabic
    In Palestinian Arabic, "salamaat" is frequently used to say "goodbye." "Salaam" is also used.
  16. Mahaodeh Senior Member

Arabic and English
    Tislam/Tislameen/Tislamoon is used as thank you in Iraq; but shukran is used just as commonly. Sometimes it's emphasized by saying: تسلم وتعيش (be well and live).

Salaamaat in Iraq is used commonly to express "hopes of being well" to someone that has had an accident or just been ill. example: سمعنا صارلكم حادث بالسيارة، سلامات . It's also used to emphasize salaam, or to say "not one greeting but many". I don't know if anyone heard the song salaamat for Hamiid Mansoor: سلامات، سلامات، أبعث سلامات.
  17. musguit New Member

18. Xence Senior Member

Algeria (Arabic - French)
    This is exactly the way we use it in Algeria.
  19. Masjeen Senior Member

Arabian Gulf
    It is also the way we use it in Kuwait. :thumbsup:

أعتقد كل اللهجات العربية بالمشرق تستخدم نفس العبارة لنفس المعنى
  20. Abu Rashid

Abu Rashid Senior Member

Melbourne, Australia
    Australian English
    The basic meaning of the verbal root in Arabic, and pretty much all other Semitic languages, is to be complete, whole, sound, safe, calm, at rest, at peace. Health is probably a part of that, when applied to human wholeness, soundness and safety, but I don't think it's the original meaning as you've suggested. There's plenty of other roots that deal specifically with healthiness.
  21. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    I believe the word "salaamat" is not a plural of "salaam" but it is, in fact, a "changed" form of the noun "salaamah" [well-being]. The plural would be salaamaat. In many languages spoken by Muslim communities (such as Urdu, Persian etc), the -ah ending words are pronounced with taa marbuutah. It is possible that in the language under discussion, this word is used in the sense "May you be in a state of salaamah" and could be used for Hello and Goodbye!

22. Tracer

Tracer Senior Member

Wadi Jinn
    American English
    It's also interesting to note that Arabic is the only language which uses the ال in the phrase السلام عليكم .
    All other languages that use this phrase drop the ال .

It is even more interesting to note that NONE of these other languages respond to the above phrase with وعليكم السلام
    Only Arabic does this. There are reasons for this, of course, but they probably go beyond the scope of this posting.
  23. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    This may be off topic but I will have to disagree. In our Punjabi and Urdu background we use "assalaamu 'alaikum" and the reply is "wa 'alikumu_ssalaam"!
  24. Mahaodeh Senior Member

Arabic and English
    Are we are talking about here is سلامات, which is the plural of both سلام and of سلامة; or are we talking about سلامة? Native Arabic speakers generally do not confuse between the two. The taa' marbouta is not always pronounced and a native speaker generally knows when and when not to pronounce it. Actually, in colloquial it's highly unlikely that it's pronounced anyway and the word would be pronounced "salaame" or salaama".

If it's used in a different way in Urdu or Persian, that's another issue that I don't know about.
  25. mataripis

mataripis Senior Member

If "salam" in arabic is "peace" , it is clear! Salam!(peace!) .But in case of Tagalog "salamat" (thanks) ,I think peace and be grateful can be related words/scenes. Sometimes saying thanks may mean peace. This reminds me the word "sela" of ethnic word of ancient Tagalog(Dumaget), it means " route" or " way".In this language Thanks is "selamat" and that part of word "Mat" may mean matuwid (righteous/straight), so it is possible that " sela" + "mat" will provide us the meaning " peace"/ "come in" + "righteous one".