Same spelling or pronunciation, opposite meanings

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by SuperXW, Oct 9, 2013.

1. SuperXW

SuperXW Senior Member

Do you have this kind of experience in any language?

There are some word, phrase or sentence, accidentally have two nearly opposite explanations...
    Or, two words, phrases or sentences are accidentally identical or very similar in pronunciation or spelling...
    This forces us to "guess" the meaning according to the context.

I know "a pun" has two meanings, but I'm looking for some extreme cases, that the two meanings are almost opposite.
    For example, in Chinese:
    治病 and 致病 both pronounce zhi4bing4. But one means "to cure a disease", the other means "to cause a disease". :eek:
    抱負 and 報復 both pronounce bao4fu4. But one means "great ambition", the other means "petty avenge".
    報仇 and 報酬 both pronounce bao4chou2. One means "revenge", the other means "reward". (Well, not exactly opposite, but still totally different.)
    So we must be very careful when using these words...

There are also pun jokes making fun on sentences:
    There are two kinds of girls who cannot find a boyfriend: One: despise everyone; second, despised by everyone. (Can be expressed identically in Chinese.)
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  2. bibax Senior Member

There are plenty of such words in Latin.

The Latin prefix in- (im-, il-, ir-) has two meaning:

1) it is a verbal prefix that modifies the meaning of the verbs, cf. English to inscribe, to include, to imbibe, etc.

2) it is a particle (so called privative) that negates the meaning of the words, cf. English inaccurate, immature, illegal, irrational, etc.

infractus = 1) (< infringere) broken, fractured 2) (priv. in + frangere) not broken, unfractured;

infrenatus = 1) (< infrenare) bridled, on a bridle 2) (priv. in + frenum bridle) without a bridle;

instratus, intectus = 1) covered 2) uncovered;

insuetus = 1) accustomed 2) unaccustomed;

inauditus, inquisitus, intentatus, invocatus, etc.
  3. SuperXW

SuperXW Senior Member

I remember once in another thread, the word "unisex" has confused us. :confused:
  4. ESustad Senior Member

Washington, DC
    English - (Minnesota)
    "Flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing in English, even though the prefix "in-" often means "not."
  5. Myridon

Myridon Senior Member

English - US
  6. SuperXW

SuperXW Senior Member

7. Tjahzi

Tjahzi Senior Member

Umeå, Sweden
    Swedish (Göteborg)
    Interesting examples there.
    I'm curious about the origin of these pairs. Are the graphs/words indeed true homophones that have evolved into such over time, or do some of them occur from tone sandhi in this given context?

Regarding other languages, if we are talking about two antonyms "accidentally" ending up as homophones (rather than a single word having antonymical meaning in different contexts), I believe those only truly occur in tonal languages.
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  8. SuperXW

SuperXW Senior Member

They are not "true homophones" that have evolved into such overtime, however, they are not from "tone sandhi" either.
    The meanings of Chinese are attached to the characters (the "graphs"), not their pronunciations. Multiple characters may have a same pronunciation. (Usually, two different characters form up a "word". This narrow down the chance of "homophones".) And, the pronunciations change from time to time, from place to place, but the writings rarely changes.
    When I showed you their sounds, they were just the standard pronunciations set by the current government, based on Beijing dialect. This became standard Mandarin, the universal spoken language in China.
    In Mandarin, those words happen to pronounce exactly the same.
    But when writing them down, people would realize they were totally different.

I also think those homophone words could be rare. But how about phrases or sentence? I suppose there would be some coincidences caused by pronunciations or grammar.
  9. origumi Senior Member

A Hebrew example - root q-l-s קלס. It means both to despise/denigrate and to laud/praise.

The reason is historical: the former is native Hebrew, the latter was borrowed from Hellenistic Greek καλὸς (beautiful).
  10. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    In classical Arabic there are whole books of “words with opposite meanings“. The technical term is ʼaḍdād “opposites”.
  11. Tjahzi

Tjahzi Senior Member

Umeå, Sweden
    Swedish (Göteborg)
    My point was that while, for instance in the case of your first example, both 治 and 病 are pronounced bing4 in these contexts (preceding 病, that is), there probably is or has been a context in which they were pronounced differently. As such, my question was whether the homophony has evolved over time through the initially distinct pronunciations of 治 and 病 merging, or if the pronunciations of these two are indeed still distinguishable when isolated/in another context.
  12. ahmedcowon Senior Member

That's true, but today many of these words are only used to refer to one of the two meanings.

Here are some examples of ʼaḍdād:

جلل means "great" and "worthless"
    باع means "sell" and "buy"
    شرى also means "sell" and "buy"
    مولى means "master" and "slave"
    طرب means "joy" and "sorrow"
    مأتم means "gathering at time of mourning" and "gathering at time of celebration"
    غريم means "lender" and "borrower"
    ظن means "certainty" and "uncertainty"
  13. sakvaka

sakvaka Moderoitsija

Finnish: (at least what I could come up with)

- vähän can mean both "a little" (= some, a few) and "little" (= not much/many, few, hardly any)
    - vähän also means "quite, a lot, really" in some exclamations (Vähän siistii! How cool is that!)
    - lainata means both "lend sth to sb" and "borrow sth from sb". Lainaan kynän can mean both "I'm borrowing a pen (from someone)" and "I'm lending a pen (to someone)
    - Älä muuta sano! (Tell me about it!) literally means Don't say anything else!, but also the expression Sanos muuta! (Say something else!) can be used in that sense.
    - there are some dialect-related contronyms, tuima means "too salty" in western dialects but "little salty" in eastern dialects
  14. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    Chinese 眀 míng ‘bright’, 冥 míng ‘dark’ (same pronunciation, but different characters). In Vietnamese both are written minh.
  15. SuperXW

SuperXW Senior Member

Wow, the same in Chinese! The verb 借 can mean both "lend" and "borrow". 我借了一支笔 can mean both "I borrowed a pen" or "I lent a pen"! When we were learning English, the teachers always asked us to exercise on distinguishing them. :D

But most Chinese will misunderstand the expression "Tell me about it!" We will really start to talk. :D

There are also many dialect-related contronyms. 窝心 means "feel wronged; grievance" in Mainland China, but "feel very considerate, caring" in Taiwan...

I remember another one: 全部 "all" accidentally have the same pronunciation of 全部 "all-not", both "quan2bu4". Therefore, sometimes we say ta1men0 quan2bu4 chu1qu4, others could not be sure if it means "They all go out" or "They all don't go out"...
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  16. SuperXW

SuperXW Senior Member

Luckily, modern Chinese don't use 明/冥 independently to mean "bright/dark" anymore. If Vietnamese keep their pronunciations, it could be a trouble~
  17. Ghabi

Ghabi Moderator

Hong Kong
    Hi! We did talk a bit about this topic in this thread in the Chinese forum.
  18. SuperXW

SuperXW Senior Member

I think that topic is a little bit different. That topic discusses OPPOSITE EXPRESSIONS with SAME MEANINGS, isn't it? ;) I'm now looking for SAME EXPRESSIONS with OPPOSITE MEANINGS.
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  19. origumi Senior Member

Is there a any typical reason for this phenomenon in Arabic, or each word has its own story?
  20. ahmedcowon Senior Member

In some Arabic dialects, negative imperative is formed by putting "ma" in front of the "jussive verb". But in Egyptian Arabic, this form gives the positive imperative.

For Example: "ma teftaħ el-bab" means "Don't open the door" in some Arabic dialects but it means "Open the door" in the Egyptian dialect.

There are two main reasons for this phenomenon:
    1- The two opposite meanings share the same root, so maybe one of the words formed can give the two opposite meanings.
    2- The word is used in an era to mean something but used in another era to mean the opposite.
  21. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    I agree.

To tell the truth, most of the ʼaḍdād listed in the books I mentioned are mere pedantry. ظن ann actually just means “opinion”, so it can in principle be a ceartain opinion or an uncertain opinion.
  22. Skatinginbc

Skatinginbc Senior Member

Mandarin 國語
    Mandarin 致病 zhi4 bing4 "to cause disease" < Middle Chinese *ȶì biaŋ < Old Chinese *tjed bʰiaŋ
    Mandarin 治病 zhi4 bing4 "to cure disease" < Middle Chinese *ɖi biaŋ < Old Chinese *dʰi̯əɡ bʰiaŋ
    They were not homophones initially. They gradually evolved into homophones over time. In modern Mandarin, 治 zhi4 "to cure" and 致 zhi4 "to cause" are pronounced zhi4 in all contexts, including in isolation. They are true homophones (heterographs).
  23. bibax Senior Member

Similarly in Latin, the verbal prefix in- originates from the PIE *en- (cf. Greek en-, Slavic v- < *ven, Old English on-) and the privative prefix in- originates from PIE *ne- (cf. Greek a-/an-, Slavic ne-, English -un). Probably only in Latin the two prefixes gradually evolved into homophones over time. (The Old English on-, cf. onliehtan "to enlighten", seems to be extinct.)

In Latin potentially all participles and adjectives derived from the verbs with the prefix in- can have opposite or nearly opposite meanings simultaneously.

However not all verbs were used with the verbal prefix in-, and not all derived participles and adjectives were used with the privative in-. This fact significantly reduces the number of the possible auto-antonyms. For example: incredibilis means only incredible as the prefixed verb incredere is not attested.

Also some instances are not pure auto-antonyms as many verbs with the prefix in- have (slightly or completely) different meaning than the corresponding unprefixed verbs. For example:

scribere = to write, inscribere = to inscribe;
    inscriptus (< inscribere) = inscribed, inscriptus (priv. in- + scriptus < scribere) = unwritten;

Still there are some pure auto-antonyms. For example both verbs mutare and immutare have the same meaning: to change; immutatus means changed (< immutare) or unchanged (priv. in- + mutatus < mutare). But immutabilis was always understood as immutable, changeable is mutabilis.
  24. sakvaka

sakvaka Moderoitsija

Another hit: Italian intiepidire, Finnish haalentaa, means either "warm up" or "cool down". See the corresponding WR entry.
  25. SuperXW

SuperXW Senior Member

So they were different in ancient times? Now they pronounce the same, what a shame~
    By the way, I really admire your knowledge on middle Chinese. Very few people knows these today.
  26. vince Senior Member

Los Angeles, CA
    There are examples in English like "awesome" and "awful", "terrific" and "terrible".

But what about the difference between "this car is shit" (bad car) and "this car is the shit" (amazing car), is this the same phenomenon?
  27. TitTornade

TitTornade Senior Member

In French :
    "louer" = to rent or to rent out
    "hôte" = host or guest
    "apprendre" = to teach or to learn
  28. Geo.

Geo. Senior Member

West of So'ton, Hants
    UK English (SE England)
    In English:- raze vs raise

raze = to destroy, (i.e. knock down, demolish) a building, or town, etc. E.g. ‘The house was razed to the ground in the fire last night’.

With raze pronounced the same — in most dialects — as raise.

raise: (amongst other definitions) to build, (i.e. erect, construct), etc. E.g. ‘A new house will be raised on the site of the old one’.
  29. Geo.

Geo. Senior Member

West of So'ton, Hants
    UK English (SE England)
    With regard to government procedure:-

In American English, to table (a discussion, proposal, bill, etc.) means to postpone, or even suspend it altogether, for the time being.

In British & Commonwealth English, however, to table (the same business as above) means to address it now, without further delay.
    Last edited: May 15, 2014
  30. Geo.

Geo. Senior Member

West of So'ton, Hants
    UK English (SE England)
    The word quite in certain contexts — can have a near opposite meaning in British English vs in American English.

For instance, on a British survey:-

How concerned are you about the Scottish Independence Referendum, scheduled for 18th September 2014, and its potential effect on the British economy?

Please tick only one of the following that best describes your feelings regarding the matter:-

1.) __ I am very concerned.

2.) __ I am quite concerned.

3.) __ I am not concerned.

In American English, the choice between the first and the second option, may well seem to be no choice at all, the both meaning extremely concerned’.

In British English, however — in this context — the first means ‘I am extremely concerned’, whereas the second means ‘I am not extremely concerned’.

This is because, in this case, ‘very is synonymous with ‘most (concerned)’, whilst here, ‘quite means ‘only moderately (concerned)’, i.e. ‘sort of (concerned)’.

(It is only in the third option, that both American and British English mean ‘I am not concerned at all’).
  31. Geo.

Geo. Senior Member

West of So'ton, Hants
    UK English (SE England)
    In British English the term Public School — (e.g. Eton College, Radley College, Winchester College, Harrow, et al.) — means what Americans would call a Private School; (the word ‘college’ meaning a secondary school in the UK). The use of the word ‘public’ — in this context, in British English — means to be educated in public, i.e. with others, as opposed to in private by a tutor.

In American English, however, Public School means what in British English would be called a State-funded school, i.e. open to all. In this case, the American use of the word ‘public’ means open to the public at large, versus American ‘Private School’, meaning not part of publicly funded schools.
    Last edited: May 17, 2014
  32. Geo.

Geo. Senior Member

West of So'ton, Hants
    UK English (SE England)
    In British English the word fanny refers to a woman's ‘pudenda’, whereas in American English, it refers to the ‘anus’, (of either gender). Whilst not exact opposites, a woman would be facing the opposite way.

Thus, the American term fanny-pack — which in Britain is called a bum-bag — can certainly catch an Englishman off guard! (I was over here for years before I became familiar with much of American speech).
  33. Geo.

Geo. Senior Member

West of So'ton, Hants
    UK English (SE England)
    In Italian, «Ciao» — a corruption of the Venetian «s-ciào Su» i.e. ‘I am your slave’ — can be used to mean both ‘Hello’ & ‘Good-bye’.
  34. Awwal12 Senior Member

Moscow, the RF
    Cannot think about anything in Russian right now. In Ukrainian, however, some Old Russian prefixes merged, resulting in some peculiar cases.
    So, уносити (wnosyty) can mean both "to bring in"/"to carry into" (< O.R. vnositi) and "to take away"/"to carry away" (< O.R. unositi); pretty close to the opposite.
  35. Geo.

Geo. Senior Member

West of So'ton, Hants
    UK English (SE England)
    In Austria (in particular), in much of southern Germany (especially Bavaria), and in many of the lands of the former Austro-Hungarian Empire; variations (in their respective languages) of the Latin word Servus — to mean ‘I am your servant’ or ‘At your service’ — can be used as both ‘Hello’ & ‘Good-bye’, (just as Italian «Ciao» is used with its similar meaning, in the same way).

The common variant forms of Latin Servus in the respective languages or dialects that use it are:- Slovak: Servus, Croatian: Servus or Serbus, Hungarian: Szervusz — (as well as several other forms in Magyar); Polish: Serwus, Austro-Bavarian: Servus, Romanian: Servus, Slovene: Serbus, Czech: Servus, Ukrainian: Сервус, and in Tyrolean & Italian (viz Alto Adige): Servas or Seavas.
    Last edited: May 23, 2014
  36. Geo.

Geo. Senior Member

West of So'ton, Hants
    UK English (SE England)
    There is something similar in American vs British English with ‘to bring’ vs ‘to take’, though they actually mean the near opposite in most contexts. Yet in British English, one will, for instance, offer ‘to take something (to a picnic, a party, etc). Where in American English, one will generally offer “to bring” something (to the same). Hence American B.Y.O.B. i.e. “Bring your own bottle.”

An example of the proper use in both British & American English might be:- ‘I feel rather ill; please, “take” the food away when you leave, and “bring” me back a glass of water when you return’.
    (No-one could interchange these two verbs, in the above, to render it as:- I feel rather ill; please, “bring” the food away when you leave, and “take” me back a glass of water when you return’).
    Last edited: May 22, 2014
  37. Geo.

Geo. Senior Member

West of So'ton, Hants
    UK English (SE England)
    In most cases ‘high’, for instance ‘high mountains’, means ‘tall’, yet in some cases such as ‘high seas’, it meant ‘deep’, well into the 1900s. (To-day however, it is now used to mean ‘International Waters’.

See Online Etymology Dictionary:-
    High seas first attested late 14c., with sense (also found in the Latin cognate) of "deep" as well as "tall" (cognates: Old English heahflod "deep water," also Old Persian baršan "height, depth").

See The Law Dictionary:- Altum Mare (Latin)
    The high sea, or seas. The deep sea. Super altum mare, on the high seas.
    Last edited: May 26, 2014