1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

same word for all meals - examples

Discussion in 'Etymology, History of languages and Linguistics (EHL)' started by Kasrav, Jul 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kasrav Senior Member

India
    India - English
    While I know a little about the development of separate words for what we know in English speaking regions as breakfast, lunch, dinner...I want to know whether there are still languages that have the same word for a meal and uses other words (typically day, night, evening) to qualify.

For example in one South Indian language - the common word is "Bhojanam"...and for the meal taken at night it is simply "Ratri Bhojanam" or night meal.

Looking forward to hearing other similar examples from other forum members and also typically how they are used.

Thanks
    kasrav

I did search in the forum before posing this. I found one thread but it didnt have the examples I wanted. If already discussed elsewhere, apologies. Let me know the link

http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=911897

2. Cenzontle

Cenzontle Senior Member

English, U.S.
    I am not an expert on Indonesian, but these are from my Indonesian/English dictionary:
    breakfast > makanan pagi
    lunch(eon) > makan tengah hari, makan siang
    dinner > makan(an) malam
    supper > makanan malam

makan = to eat
    makanan = food
    pagi = morning
    tengah hari = midday
    siang = daytime
    malam = night

I'm not sure how strictly the boundaries between makan as a verb and makanan as a noun are kept.

3. CapnPrep Senior Member

France
    AmE
    This thread in All Languages begins with exactly the same question as yours. It is still open for further responses:
    meals

4. berndf Moderator

Geneva
    German (Germany)
    Moderator note: This thread is therefore closed to avoid duplication.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.