1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Sanskrit - Navras

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by raptor, Jan 2, 2009.

1. raptor

raptor Senior Member

BC, Canada
    Canada, English
    Hello,

The music during the end credits for Matrix Revolutions is named "Navras" and I read that the composer used Sanskrit vocals in some of the scores.

If this is the right language, does anyone know what it means?

Thanks!

2. computerguy New Member

Nepali
    the meaning comes to something like 'Nine expressions'. :) They are love, laughter, compassion, anger, courage, fear, disgust, surprise and tranquility.

3. Lugubert Senior Member

Göteborg
    Swedish
    There are innumerable references to Navaratna or Navratnas. For example,
    Navaratnas (Sanskritnava-ratna- "nine gems") was a term applied to a group of nine extraordinary people in a king's court in India. Two such well-known groups are Akbar's darbar and that of Vikramaditya.

Navratna can also refer to a set of nine differerent gemstones.

In contemporary India, Navratnas is the title given by the govenment originally bestowed on nine Public Sector Enterprises.

However, I think that computerguy is even closer: Navras is a Sanskritised Hindi word, roughly meaning nine emotional states. The Hindu philosophy of music believes that there are nine emotional states that are expressed through music and dance.

4. raptor

raptor Senior Member

BC, Canada
    Canada, English
    That's interesting, and I guess it would make sense. The music has a great emotional variety in it, the composer is very good. Also, I think the 'council' in the movie numbered nine, but that's probably just coincidence.

Thanks for your help!

5. Pivra Senior Member

ras is flavor in Thai but its a Sanskrit word and Nava is nine.