1. jumpononeleg Junior Member

I saw that roña can mean mange. I thought this was odd because it is used in the game of tag to say you are it!

When a person says my dog has mange, which term is more common? sarna or roña

2. ERASMO_GALENO Senior Member

Lima limón
    Perú, Español

It's more common to say sarna in that case (when it comes to a dog with mange).

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  3. borgonyon

borgonyon Modus Vivendi

Shreveport, Louisiana
    Mexican Spanish
    WR gives you these options:
  4. jumpononeleg Junior Member

Oh, that makes a lot more sense. So, it is like saying, "You are the one with the problem!"?
  5. borgonyon

borgonyon Modus Vivendi

Shreveport, Louisiana
    Mexican Spanish
    Yeah, we could baptize the game as "Yosemite Sam".
  6. shoam

shoam Senior Member

Seattle, Washington, USA
    spanish argentina
    I never heard that...
    I have always used "RO
    ÑA" as " ¡qué roña que tiene!". Meaning "it's so dirty"

Now I am confused and will have to do some research about the difference between MANGE and SCABIES...

Anyone has a good web site to recommned?
  7. borgonyon

borgonyon Modus Vivendi

Shreveport, Louisiana
    Mexican Spanish
    We also have the expression "viejo/a roñoso/a" but it's never meant for dirty, more for someone you dislike because of his/her temper.

Same language, different idioms . . .
  8. jumpononeleg Junior Member

Well, because both mancha and roña are used, I tend to think that in this case it seems to imply something dirty, and the way you "cleanse" yourself is to give your case of "filth" to another. It seems that would be what makes the game fun.
  9. Kraken

Kraken Senior Member

Valladolid (España)
    Castellano (Español)
    I'd like to say that we never use "roña" as a synonym for "sarna".
    Where I live, "roña" is "filth", and "sarna" is the illness.
  10. jumpononeleg Junior Member

It sems to me that the common theme is the person has an undesirable, or contemptible "condition" sort of like "unlcean" or "unacceptable". Is that a fair statement?
  11. shoam

shoam Senior Member

Seattle, Washington, USA
    spanish argentina
    Yo lo entendería como un hombre ya de edad, de questionable pulcritud o actitud, puede ser roñoso física o mentalmente.
  12. jumpononeleg Junior Member

But it clearly conveys the idea of "the guy or girl we must now all avoid because of the undesirable thing that we have tagged him with".
  13. jumpononeleg Junior Member

If a person was angry at another and stood up and pointed his finger at the person and yelled "We must all avoid this mancha or roña it would be quite an insult, right?
  14. juandiego

juandiego SE modera

Granada. España
    Spanish from Spain
    Yes, it would be an insult but somewhat unidiomatic. I have only heard "roña" as dirt and "roñoso" as dirty or stingy. To be idiomatic it would be better to use the adjective:
    "We must all avoid this roñoso"
    Bear in mind that roña as dirt is uncountable.
  15. Kraken

Kraken Senior Member

Valladolid (España)
    Castellano (Español)
    "Roñoso" when applied to a person means "tacaño" (cheapskate, lame, mean, someone not willing to spend their money even if they have plenty of it).
    Alguien es roñoso.
    It's only whan we talk about things when "roñoso" mean "filthy" or "rusty".
    Algo está roñoso.

At least in Spain.
  16. shoam

shoam Senior Member

Seattle, Washington, USA
    spanish argentina
    Me acuerdo que cuando salió la última edición de MAFALDA, en España, Guille le dice a una señora “amarreta”, en el original. Pero para esa edición, lo cambiaron por “roñicas”.
  17. mijoch Banned

British English
    Hi Shoam.

It seems (cautious because I'm no expert). Mange/sarna is a range of parasitic infections of the skin, one of whch is "scabies". Roña (apart from it's idiomatic usage in Spanish) is synonymous with "tiña"-ringworm.

If you investigate, and I've got it wrong. Let me know. Please!

In BE, mangy and scabby, are terms derived from mange and scabies, also with idiomatic usage.

Un saludo

18. merquiades

merquiades Senior Member

USA Northeast
    Hola. ¿"Sarna" se aplica tanto a los animales como a los seres humanos? Os lo pregunto porque me parece que "scabbies" es para los seres humanos pero "mange" es para los animales. Me refiero a la enfermedad...
    Para mí "roñoso" es "avaro, agarrado". Saludos
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  19. loudana33 Junior Member

Hola merquiades,
    Así es, y el diccionario de WR lo confirma, “scabies” es para los seres humanos y “mange” es para los animales; el término "sarna" se usa para ambos.
    Un saludo.