Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by Adriana_Italy, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Adriana_Italy Senior Member

Turin - Italy
    England - English
    Efficienza, autonomia, trasparenza, sartorialità
    Efficiency, autonomy, transparency, adaptability
    The context is software - an IT system allowing for real time monitoring of business procedures.
    The line is the title of a paragraph which goes on to explain how the software is an innovative tool in the field of sales and purchasing.
    Sartoria is of course 'tailoring' in other contexts but in my opinion doesn't fit this context.
    I don't really like the title in English as it appears repetitive with all the "y's".
    Does anyone have a better idea?
    Thank you.
  2. Nerino Senior Member

Salento, Italy
    Well, in Italian too, all these words end with an "a"! :) ....and of course one might find a different way to express in English the term chosen by the author, yet there must be a reason for using that particular word and, provided it actually has a meaning in English, I would keep a corresponding term. I have also found that "sartorial" exists in English, so, what about "sartorial ability"?
    Regards! :)
  3. Mary49

Mary49 Senior Member

Hi Adriana and Nerino,
    I don't think "sartorial" is the right word in the context; I didn't find it referring to the features of a software, but only to clothes and fashion. I'd say "customization ability". But wait for other suggestions.
  4. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
    It's one word
    The ability for software to be changed by the user or programmer

5. Adriana_Italy Senior Member

Turin - Italy
    England - English
    Thank you for your suggestions. Going for 'customizability'. Cheers Paul.
  6. MR1492

MR1492 Senior Member

Bowie, MD
    English -USA
    How about tailorability? That is, the ability to tailor the software's performance to the customer's needs. That would also tie sartorialità and sartorial which from Mary's post I believe are related.