1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

-sauce

Discussion in 'Dictionary Additions' started by bibliolept, Feb 10, 2010.

1. bibliolept

bibliolept Senior Member

Northern California
    AE, Español
    Term: Suffix -sauce

Your definition or explanation:
    This suffix is used in informal contexts and online as an intensifier. Something that is weaksauce / weak-sauce / weak sauce is particularly ineffective or of poor quality, "weaker than just weak." Similarly, something that is "awesomesauce" is highly "awesome."

Note that "awesomesauce" is used as an exclamation of approval, much as one might utter "Cool!"

Example: (An example of the term in use)
    The new iPad was total weaksauce.

One or more places you have seen the term: (Please give URLs/links to web pages, or a full description of a print publication.)

"I did think it was kinda weak sauce, but that's because I was expecting more."
    Blog post titled "New World Series PS3 ad is weak sauce"
    http://www.joystiq.com/2006/10/27/new-world-series-ps3-ad-is-weak-sauce/

In some contexts, the "sauce" is treated as a, if you will, literal metaphor:
    "2) Dude, this is covered in lamesauce."
    http://lamesauce.net/about/

"Wednesday strip has been marinated in awesomesauce and topped with epic win."
    http://forums.questionablecontent.net/index.php?action=printpage;topic=23600.0

Have you looked for this term or meaning in dictionaries, and not found it? Yes

2. bibliolept

bibliolept Senior Member

Northern California
    AE, Español
    I've also found "win-sauce"

This is a relatively new use of "win"; for those of you who don't know what I'm talking about: "This whole movie is made of win!" or "This song is win!"

Thus, "win-sauce": "This game is win-sauce."

3. Myridon

Myridon Senior Member

Texas
    English - US
    "fail sauce" is another example.

4. os9591 New Member

London
    English
    Surely many of these terms (win sauce, fail sauce) are nothing more than internet memes?

I don't think they have properly integrated themself into mainstream slang.
    There is a very large amount of people, (especially in Britain) who would struggle to understand these terms.

I can hardly see how you justify adding them to the dictionary.

5. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
    Should dictionaries only include well-known terms that have been around for a few hundred years? Should AE dictionaries exclude BE terms, on the grounds that many people don't know them?

The point of this forum is to identify, among other things, new meanings and new terms that are not yet well embedded in the language. Both native speakers and non-natives learners often consult dictionaries precisely to learn about terms that are unknown and strange.

6. clevermizo Moderator

St. Louis, MO
    English (USA), Spanish
    I wanted to add that in my own life I find that this suffix is much more part of the realm of "internet" colloquialisms - i.e., that it is found in writing. I have never actually heard anyone use it in speech.

But that might be generational as I don't often engage with people 10 years younger than me. Maybe it's picking up in usage among teenagers or people in their early 20s.

However, that said, features from internet language very often insinuate themselves into spoken language. The "win/fail" usage is a good example of this.

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  7. Litillita

Litillita New Member

Stein, Bayern, Germany
    English - Great Britain
    Did you really mean SAUCE as in
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Latin salsa, feminine of salsus salted, from past participle of sallere to salt, from sal salt — more at salt
    Date: 14th century
    1 : a condiment or relish for food; especially : a fluid dressing or topping
    2 : something that adds zest or piquancy
    3 : stewed fruit eaten with other food or as a dessert
    4 : pert or impudent language or actions
    or are you referring to SOURCE as in
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Middle English sours, from Anglo-French surse spring, source, from past participle of surdre to rise, spring forth, from Latin surgere — more at surge
    Date: 14th century
    1 a : a generative force : cause b (1) : a point of origin or procurement : beginning (2) : one that initiates : author; also : prototype, model (3) : one that supplies information
    2 a : the point of origin of a stream of water : fountainhead b archaic : spring, fount
    3 : a firsthand document or primary reference work
    4 : an electrode in a field-effect transistor that supplies the charge carriers for current flow

8. bibliolept

bibliolept Senior Member

Northern California
    AE, Español
    Oh, it's sauce all right.

And, I admit with some chagrin, I've heard people say this sort of thing.

9. Benkarnell

Benkarnell Junior Member

Illinois
    US English
    I've definitely heard "weak sauce" and "awesome sauce" in conversation. Honestly I had never connected the two in my mind: "awesome sauce" sounded to me like a rhyming expression along the lines of "No way José", while "weak sauce" sounded like a metaphor for, well, bland sauce.

I had not heard the "win" and "fail" versions, which are much more obviously "Internet" and which make -sauce more recognizeable as a suffix.