Sayd is-samak صيد السمك

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by laneylady, Dec 9, 2012.

1. laneylady Junior Member

English USA
    Is Sayd a masdar? If not what is it?

2. Finland Senior Member

Finland
    finnois
    Hello!

It is indeed a maSdar of صاد.

HTH
    S

3. shafaq Senior Member

Istanbul
    Turkish
    سيد of سيد السمك has nothing to do with صاد .
    It means master/ lord/ respected one of fish. :)

4. Finland Senior Member

Finland
    finnois
    That's why Laneylady wrote it with a capital S, indicating that the word is صيد and not سيد.

;-)

S

5. laneylady Junior Member

English USA
    Can you please transliterateصيد for me? Chokran.

6. Finland Senior Member

Finland
    finnois
    Hello!

Depending on what system you are using, it can be Sayd as you wrote. I was assuming you just made a mistake in writing سيد in Arabic instead of صيد...

HTH
    S

7. laneylady Junior Member

English USA
    OK I understand the Sayd since I began with that. What about the rest?

8. Finland Senior Member

Finland
    finnois
    I'm sorry, what do you mean? What about which rest? What was it that you were actually asking for?

The meaning of صيد السمك (fishing) or سيد السمك (the master of fish) or something else? If you give a context to your question, it would be easier to give an answer.

HTH
    S

9. laneylady Junior Member

English USA
    l) Let's go back to the beginning: You said that Sayd is-Samak is a masdar. from what verb(Egyptian), please transliterate(= write in Roman letters, not in Arabic script).

2)How do you get from the verb to the masdar? Does it follow a regular pattern or must it just be be memorized?

I hope that is clear. Chokran.
    ll

10. cherine

cherine Moderator

Alexandria, Egypt
    Arabic (Egypt).
    Hi,

I'm afraid I contributed to the confusion here. The title was only in Roman letters and I just put سيد for "sayd" instead of صيد, though it didn't make sense. Sorry! :eek: Maybe this is why it's better to use Arabic letters to write Arabic, at least along transliteration instead of depending solely on transliteration.

As for the thread's question, and as Finland said, yes: صيد is the maSdar of صاد - يصيد - صَيْدًا (Saada, yaSiidu, Saydan).
    But if you're asking about Egyptian Arabic (and you should've indicated this in the title and in your first post) then the verb used for fishing is اصطاد eSTaaD - yeSTaaD, and the maSdar is Sed (with a long "e") not Sayd.

11. laneylady Junior Member

English USA
    Can you please conjugate eSTAad and yeSTaad for me? Chokran.

12. barkoosh Senior Member

Beirut
    Arabic
    See this page.

13. laneylady Junior Member

English USA
    Chokran,
    I thought that by writing the verbs in Roman letters , I would receive a transliterated answer. My mistake. I do not read Arabic so I need the verbs in the script I used. Bear in mind that this is Egyptian which means far fewer forms than you sent, I believe??
    Can someone help me,minfadlak(ik)?
    Chokran,

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012