1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Schönen Tag noch

Discussion in 'Deutsch (German)' started by guyper, Jan 8, 2008.

1. guyper Senior Member

French Creole
    'Schönen Tag noch'

I know it means have a nice day but could someone please help me to translate it literally? I only know that tag means day

Thank you

2. ghekko Junior Member

Ludwigsburg, Germany
    German/Germany
    "Schönen" means literally pretty, so nice. "Tag", as you mentioned, means day. "Noch" means still, as in have a nice rest of the day. Basically, it was probably already afternoon. :)

3. the thinker

the thinker New Member

Spanish
    Ghekko was right...
    The words have literally that meaning, and the meaning of the whole sentence is just "have a nice day!". Easy!
    It has nothing to do with evening, afternoon or whenever...
    Good luck with this passionate language!!

4. Hutschi

Hutschi Senior Member

Dresden, Universum
    German, Germany
    The word "noch" has several meanings:
    1. for now, meanwhile, for the rest of the day (Ich wünsche dir, dass du weiterhin einen schönen Tag hat. Ich wünsche Dir, dass der (restliche) Tag schön werden möge. (As Ghekko wrote)
    2. short form for "außerdem wünsche ich dir (noch) einen schönen Tag" - "moreover (I wish you) a good day", "I want to add that I wish you a good day." ("Noch" is not a modifier for "einen" here.)

Both are connected here. You cannot really say which is meant. It is a fixed coll. phrase.

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  5. Hutschi

Hutschi Senior Member

Dresden, Universum
    German, Germany
  6. SpringSun Junior Member

Italian
    Hello,
    is it possible/correct to conclude an email with "Schönen Tag noch"?
    Thank you!

7. exgerman Senior Member

NYC
    English but my first language was German
    It can easily sound sarcastic, if you've just ruined your interlocuter's day with some bad news.

8. Thomas W. Senior Member

Deutsch
    I wouldn't use it in an Email. It is too informal even for that.
    You could, however, use the full sentence for which "Schönen Tag noch" is just an abbreviation, and write "Ich wünsche Dir/Ihnen noch einen schönen Tag".

9. Gernot Back

Gernot Back Senior Member

Cologne, Germany
    German - Germany
    Nowadays, "Schönen Tag noch!" sounds sarcastic anyway, since most of the time it is yelled at you by young punks loitering around supermarkets within a big city, when you ignore their panhandling.

10. berndf Moderator

Geneva
    German (Germany)
    It very much depends on context and tone. I don't think you can generalize it like this.