Scheol [der Juden]

Discussion in 'Deutsch (German)' started by Löwenfrau, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Löwenfrau

Löwenfrau Senior Member

São Paulo
    Brazilian Portuguese
    Hi!

What is "der Scheol der Juden"? It seems obvious in the text, but maybe because the word is so different in my mother tongue (Portuguese), I don't know how to translate it.

If necessary, context:

"ob es sich um den Hades der Griechen, um den Scheol der Juden, um Hölle, Fegefeuer und Himmel der Christen, um das Paradies der Mohammedaner handelt, immer brauchen die Seelen nach dem Tode einen materiell räumlichen Wohnort, werden durch materielle Leiden bestraft und durch materielle Freuden belohnt"

Thank you very much again!

2. Hau Ruck

Hau Ruck Senior Member

United States - Midwest
    English - U.S.
    I think it is a religious word that means afterlife.
    Perhaps even "Hell" or "Hades" for the Jews.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  3. Löwenfrau

Löwenfrau Senior Member

São Paulo
    Brazilian Portuguese
    Yes, it certainly is... But I need the exact word.

4. Löwenfrau

Löwenfrau Senior Member

São Paulo
    Brazilian Portuguese
    Well, I've just find out that it is the same thing in English and Portuguese: Sheol.

Thanks anyway!

5. Hau Ruck

Hau Ruck Senior Member

United States - Midwest
    English - U.S.
    That may prove difficult. :) Different ideologies and religions may view the world differently. I think it would greatly depend on the view of the speaker and audience.

I may assume all bad places in the afterlife are "Hell". Therefore maybe I think it's Hell.
    Someone else may think that it is merely "Hades"-like. They might assume the word as Hades.
    I don't think the word is as clear as you want because it is religion based. That throws in ideology to the word's meaning.

edit: Ah, good. Glad you found your answer. :)

6. berndf Moderator

Geneva
    German (Germany)
    שְׁאוֹל /ʃəʔoːl/ in Tiberian Hebrew. In Modern Hebrew the vowel length (ː) is not significant any more.

7. Löwenfrau

Löwenfrau Senior Member

São Paulo
    Brazilian Portuguese
    Thanks guys, I found it already, it is just Sheol. This is how it is said in English, and in Portuguese too.

8. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    Sheol is the place where disembodied souls, whether good or bad, reside after death. In the Greek translation of the Old Testament, and in the New Testament it is translated as “Hades” ᾅδης. In the later development of Judaism, and in Christianity, souls reside in Sheol/Hades only until the Last Judgement, when they are reunited with their bodies and dispatched either to Paradise or to Hell (in Greek Gehenna γέεννα). In the English Bible, however, both Sheol and Gehenna are rendered as “Hell”, and similarly in other Christian versions of the Bible. This blurs the historic difference between them.