Schriftgelehrte

Discussion in 'Deutsch (German)' started by kynnjo, Apr 27, 2013.

1. kynnjo Senior Member

USA Spanish and English
    Moderator note: This thread is about the translation of the word "Schriftgelehrte" as "scribes" only. The problem of parsing the entire German sentence is dealt with in a separate thread.

When I come across passages like this one I despair of ever being able to parse German fluently:
    Die Übernahme der chinesischen Schrift ins autochthon schriftlose Japan, die, wenn wir sie mit den ersten Einwanderern vom asiatischen Kontinent und besonders den vielzitierten Gestalten des Achiki und des Wani, die ja als Stammväter der fubito, der Schriftgelehrten Altjapans, gelten, verbinden, in die letzten Dekaden des 4. Jahrhunderts fällt, hatte, wie man weiß, weitreichende Folgen: Das chinesische Element prägte die japanische Sprache, die geschriebene and die gesprochene, entscheidend.

My best translation:
    < ... >the fubito, the scribes of ancient Japan, < ... >.

Please let me know if I got this right.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2013
  2. Edinburgher Senior Member

Scotland
    German/English bilingual
    < ... >

Scribes are just the people who physically write, and copy (aren't they?); Schriftgelehrte are more than that, they are authors, indeed more than mere authors, they are wise and erudite. I don't know what to suggest, perhaps "philosophers", but that doesn't quite hit the spot. Perhaps I'm being silly. If "scribe" means that to you, then that's perfectly OK.

< ... >
    Still, the parsing seems to have worked well.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2013
  3. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    I suggest: literati.

4. Frank78

Frank78 Senior Member

Saxony-Anhalt
    German
    "Schriftgelehrte" are people (in most cases scholars) who were able to read and write at a time when the majority of people was illiterate.