1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Scissors, jeans (in plural)

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by Maggie01ar, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Maggie01ar Junior Member

Philadelphia/Buenos Aires
    Argentina Spanish
    I was trying to classify certain plural nouns in form but I couldn´t find the category of:
    Scissors, Jeans, shorts, etc.
    I understood that as they are plural in form, the verb would go on the plural because of the verb agreement with the noun. How about the rest of the rules for countable and uncountable nous? (E.g. Can I say I need 3 scissors..?? or 3 shorts?. I heard it quite often although i think that grammatically should be 3 pairs of.... )
    Thanks for your help!

2. obz

obz Senior Member

Los foros de WR.
    Yankee English
    Those are more irregular than anything else, as they are often "counted". The irregularity is that they end in "s".

Saying "3 scissors, 2 shorts, 5 jeans" is "ok" but more a form of spoken shorthand.
    Not strictly correct or incorrect.

The proper way to quantify, "count", or pluralize, each (in this case) is by adding the word "pair"

"3 pairs of jeans, 2 pairs of shorts, and 5 pairs of scissors"

3. duvija

duvija Senior Member

Chicago
    Spanish - Uruguay
    Same with 'glasses'? I believe I've never heard 'I have 3 glasses' (I would assume there were for wine). Is it more mandatory for 'glasses'?

saludos

4. obz

obz Senior Member

Los foros de WR.
    Yankee English

Yeah, it certainly would make me think of containers for drinking (copas, vasos, etc).
    "Pairs" again to quantify, though if plurality is needed, but the exact quantity is unknown you can go with "some glasses (jeans, scissors, shorts)"

5. duvija

duvija Senior Member

Chicago
    Spanish - Uruguay
    Gracias, obz.

6. Maggie01ar Junior Member

Philadelphia/Buenos Aires
    Argentina Spanish
    Thank you very much!! Now its super clear!