scopes of work

Discussion in 'Legal Terminology' started by avillar, Nov 6, 2006.

1. avillar Junior Member

Kansas, USA
    Venezuela Spanish
    ¿Alguien sabe la traducción de "Scopes of Work"?

Cito:
    "Except with Licensor's Approval, Sublicensee shall not use the Licensed Marks on any item unless the item comprises a Licensed Article whose common descriptive name is listed in individual Scopes of Work".

Muchas gracias como siempre.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  2. SylviaF Senior Member

La Rochelle, France
    English/French
    Hi,
    I am English mother tongue but have not come across that term before. Either it's very highly specialized in which case someone else, hopefully, with more expertise in that area will be able to help you, or .... might it be a mis-translation from another source language ???
    It's just an idea that came to me ...
    Good luck,
    Sylvia

3. RADIRO

RADIRO Senior Member

Scopes of work es el perfil laboral, el contenido o cometido de un concreto puesto de trabajo o especialidad concreta. La mejor traducción sería quizá perfil del trabajo o descripción funcional del trabajo.

4. SylviaF Senior Member

La Rochelle, France
    English/French
    Hi Radiro,
    That sounds good - though I'm more familiar with the term "job description". Is "scopes of work" a phrase that's in general use, or is it relatively rare ?
    SylviaF

5. RADIRO

RADIRO Senior Member

I think it's very common, specially in American English.

6. avillar Junior Member

Kansas, USA
    Venezuela Spanish
    Thank you both so much!! I haven't seen it in the past because although I studied Legal Translation it was close to 15 years ago and I haven't really done much. :eek:

Thanks you all very much anyhow.

Have a wonderful day!!

7. avillar Junior Member

Kansas, USA
    Venezuela Spanish
    Hola a todos, retomo el tema porque el término Scopes of Work se ha repetido a través de los anexos del contrato que estoy traduciendo y las sugerencias que me dieron no me cuadran con el resto del contexto por lo cual quisiera volver a chequear con ustedes a través de estas citas:

"...and shall automatically be incorporated by reference into the list of Licensed Marks contained in Scopes of Work issued hereunder and be subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement."

"Except with Licensor's Approval, Sublicensee shall not use the Licensed Marks on any item unless the item comprises a Licensed Article whose common descriptive name is listed in individual Scopes of Work."

"Each Licensed Article and its packaging, and any catalog, foldout, brochure, or other print or electronic advertising or promotional material which may be required under individual Scopes of Work, shall be of good quality, shall comply with all applicable laws, regulations, and established industry standards, and shall conform to the samples thereof approved by Licensor Approval."

Lo entiendo como "Ámbito de Trabajo" pero me suena que debe haber alguna equivalencia en castellano específica del término, porque parece un nombre propio, se agradece aclaratoria por parte de algunos de los abogados...

Muchas gracias de nuevo.

8. SylviaF Senior Member

La Rochelle, France
    English/French
    Hola, Adreina:
    Radiro propone "perfil del trabajo o descripción funcional del trabajo". Los dos me parecen bien.

9. avillar Junior Member

Kansas, USA
    Venezuela Spanish
    Sylvia, lo que pasa es que se refieren a las licencias y a las marcas otorgadas en licencia, en este caso, ¿"el perfil funcional de trabajo" de quién?, ¿los artículos/marcas bajo licencia tienen eso? Dios, creo que soy yo la que no entiende...

10. SylviaF Senior Member

La Rochelle, France
    English/French
    Hello again,
    Forgive me if I reply in English - Spanish is not my strongest language.
    I have looked at scopes of work using Google and in English it refers not just to job descriptions for staff, but also to descriptions of tasks to be carried out under contract etc.
    I suggest you wait until you get a response from someone of Spanish mother tongue, but if you need an urgent answer my feeling is that "descripción funcional del trabajo" would be the term to use.
    Hope this helps!

11. avillar Junior Member

Kansas, USA
    Venezuela Spanish
    Thank you so much, Sylvia for your help but my question is which will be the exact translation of this phrase in Spanish, since I'm guessing it should have an equivalent, anyhow, I got the concept but let's see if anyone has an idea on how to translate it to Spanish.
    Thanks again for your wonderful help and have a great rest of the day!!!

12. SylviaF Senior Member

La Rochelle, France
    English/French
    No hassle - have a good day, Adreina, and good luck with the rest of the translation. Sylvia

13. salarmenmx Senior Member

Mexico City
    Spanish, Mexico
    Hola a todos: Mi propuesta sería: "Descripción del Trabajo" 'o ""Descripción de los Trabajos".

Atentos saludos.

14. avillar Junior Member

Kansas, USA
    Venezuela Spanish
    Hola, muchas gracias por tu sugerencia; se me ocurre a ver si les parece...: ¿Descripción del funcionamiento?

15. hermenator

hermenator Senior Member

Descripción/detalle/alcance de los Servicios.

16. SolAguila

SolAguila Senior Member

India
    Bengali-India
    Siempre he visto, Scope = Alcance.

17. litiga8or

litiga8or Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    Rainy Oregon! USA
    From the way Scopes of Work is used above -- and written in capital letters -- I'm wondering if it's the title of a document or a book. I'm a native American English speaker, and I have never heard of "Scopes of Work". It sounds very strange to me, especially with the -s on the end of "Scopes." So I would think it's either very, very specialized, or else it's a mistake.

18. aieruz Senior Member

Euskal Herria
    Basque,
    I think the Spanish equivalent to Scopes of Work is Descripción de Funciones,

aieruz

19. davehuert

davehuert Senior Member

Alcance(s) del trabajo.