1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Screw out

Discussion in 'English Only' started by biggolf, Mar 9, 2013.

1. biggolf Junior Member

Thai
    Hello all,

I came across this phrase "screw out" from the novel and wondering what does this mean.
    Here's the context.

[ At least, he hoped, now the army of concerned adults would finally screw out of his life. Therapists, judges, social workers, his mother's boy friend. All of them keeping him hostage to their own needs and stupid goals. All of them "caring" for him, for his well-being, and none of them really giving a shit. ]

Note: this is a thought from an eleven year-old boy whose parents are divorced.

Thank you for your help. :)

2. suzi br

suzi br Senior Member

Stoke on Trent
    England and English
    It obviously means get out of his life, although I cannot say I am familiar with the phrasing, it sounds fairly informal. Which novel is this?

3. biggolf Junior Member

Thai
    Hello Suzi br. Thank you for your reply. :) This is from a novel called "The Strain" by Guillermo Del Toro / Chuck Hogan.

4. Beryl from Northallerton Moderator

British English
    I've not seen 'screw out' used like this before; though as suzi says, the meaning is fairly transparent. Thanks for the source - you should provide this in your every post. :)

5. biggolf Junior Member

Thai
    Thank you for the reminder, Beryl. I will keep that in mind from here on out. :)

6. JulianStuart

JulianStuart Senior Member

Sonoma County CA
    English (UK then US)
    Screw off is definition #32 here (dictionary.com) and it means: leave, go away. Often used as in frustration/annoyance as an imperative to tell someone to go. Here the off is omitted and we have "screw (off) out of my life"

7. biggolf Junior Member

Thai
    JulianStuart, thank you for the explanation. Very helpful.