Screw somebody over

Discussion in 'English Only' started by juandavidcrog, Apr 30, 2008.

1. juandavidcrog

juandavidcrog Senior Member

Medellín - Colombia
    Colombian Spanish
    What does screwing somebody over mean?

Thanks to everyone

"She screwed me over"

2. gasman Senior Member

Canada, English
    Apart from its present meaning with its sexual connotations, to screw meant to cheat, finagle, almost literally rob someone, without actually reaching into their pockets.

3. AER1018 Junior Member

USA
    American English
    Screwed over means someone does something to another person to leave them in a bad situation. For example, someone lying about another person or telling on another person so that they get in trouble is getting screwed over.

4. juandavidcrog

juandavidcrog Senior Member

Medellín - Colombia
    Colombian Spanish
    so screwing somebody over could also mean "get somebody into trouble" ? or like Gasman the canadian said, cheat/rob somebody?

5. AER1018 Junior Member

USA
    American English
    Yes, screwing somebody over could also mean getting them in trouble or cheating/robbing them. Screwing someone over doesn't actually have to have anything to do with sexual connotations, it just means leaving someone in a bad situation. If someone were to get you to give your information out and they stole your money, that is getting screwed over.

6. bibliolept

bibliolept Senior Member

Northern California
    AE, Español
  7. Will5 Junior Member

England
    England English
    to screw someone over means to lie and cheat to them which cause them harm or robbery. So a if hustler tricked some money out of someone the person that had been tricked could say 'He screwed me over'.

Equally if a person was is in a relationship with someone and they then realised that they had been cheated on they could say, 'she screwed me over.'

8. bibliolept

bibliolept Senior Member

Northern California
    AE, Español
    "To take (unfair) advantage of"