1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Se dar mal

Discussion in 'Português (Portuguese)' started by Xavier da Silva, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Xavier da Silva Senior Member

Portuguese
    Pessoal,

Conheço a expressão "get your fingers burnt" que equivale a "se dar mal" em português.

Pergunta: vocês conhecem uma expressão americana para está situação: se dar mal ?

Se dar mal: sofrer com os resultados ruins de algo errado ou impensado que você fez.

Contexto:

His mother told him not to go there to drink; but he didn't listen to her and got his fingers burnt. [ = se deu mal.]

Obrigado desde já.

2. GamblingCamel

GamblingCamel Senior Member

USA English CULTA + RUA
    [By accident I erased the text that I earlier wrote in this box. To summarize, I had suggested "got burnt" and "suffered the consequences" as translations
    for se dar mal]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  3. Xavier da Silva Senior Member

Portuguese
    Gambling,

I like your suggestion "get burned". Actually, I had seen it before but the dictionaries I have don't say anything about it. But now that you've told me, I'll use it. By the way, is the sentence below correct/idiomatic?

He got involved with those bad people and got really burned.

The question is: what words can I use to intensify/emphasize "get burned"?

Thank you in advance!

4. GamblingCamel

USA English CULTA + RUA
    Your sentence is okay. Check out "I was really burned by ...".
    Various adverbs can be used to modify "burned" as long as it's clear by context that you're not talking about FIRE.

5. GamblingCamel

USA English CULTA + RUA
    "Se dar mal: sofrer com os resultados ruins de algo errado ou impensado que você fez."

X< I re-read your definition and don't think that "get burnt" should be used in your "drinking" sentence. I think "suffered the consequences" is the better option.
    Usually, "get burnt" is said when somebody's viewed as a passive victim (got burned by the stock market, got burned in love). If somebody drinks too much, it's generally regarded that the person himself is responsible for the negative consequences.

Here's a sentence like yours, but slightly rephrased, where "get burned" makes more sense.
    His mother told him not to go there to play cards with professional gamblers, but he didn't listen to her and got burnt.

6. Johannes Senior Member

Natal, Brazil
    Dutch Netherlands
    His mother told him not to go there to play cards with professional gamblers, but he didn't listen to her, lost his house, car and his wife left him. He lived to regret it.
    (Note:To live to regret something = sofrer para o resto da vida com os resultados ruins de algo errado ou impensado que você fez )

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  7. GamblingCamel

USA English CULTA + RUA
    Lived to regret it works fine in respect to drinking too much, also.

8. Joca

Joca Senior Member

Florianópolis, Brazil
    Brazilian Portuguese
    E to get in trouble pode também ser usado?