1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  1. Bellamatt New Member

Lyon
    Français
    Hello Everyone / Bonjour,
    je voudrais savoir quelle est l'expression anglaise type pour dire "se dire oui" i.e. se marier; ma phrase étant "Vous vous êtes dit oui à Hawaï".
    j'imaginais quelque chose comme "You said I do in Hawaii" mais ça sonne affreusement Français non?
    Merci d'avance / thank you for your help
    :)

2. newg

newg Senior Member

London, UK
    (France)-ais
    Did you say your I do's in Hawaii?

3. Omelette

Omelette Senior Member

London
    UK English
    If - for some reason - you simply want to avoid using the verb 'to marry', another possibility, which might work better in that sentence is 'to tie the knot'.
    'You tied the knot in Hawaii'.

4. Bellamatt New Member

Lyon
    Français
    Thank you for your answer, actually it's common to say se dire oui instead of se marier in French, I think it's kind of more poetic. This sentence is in a speech i'm translating for my cousin. Tie the knot works probably better, but is it possible to use " say your I do's " ?

5. Omelette

Omelette Senior Member

London
    UK English
    I think 'You said 'I do' in Hawaii' - though comprehensible - is slightly contrived (= not natural) in English. But it wouldn't be considered a mistake.
    Other expressions for 'to marry' in English which might fit: 'to walk down the aisle'; 'to plight your troth' (though that is quite archaic).

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
  6. newg

newg Senior Member

London, UK
    (France)-ais
    But say your I do's is correct, right?

7. Kelly B

Kelly B Senior Member

USA English
    It sounds fine to me - perhaps it's more popular in US English than in BE?

8. Wordsmyth

Wordsmyth Senior Member

Native language: English (BrE)
    As Omelette's post implied, in BrE "You said 'I do'" is more likely than "You said your I do's".

Actually I don't find "to say 'I do'" contrived; but I've heard it quite often, so I suppose it would sound natural to me.

Ws:)

9. Language Hound Senior Member

American English
    The first thing I thought when I read the thread title [se dire oui (mariage)] was "to tie the knot."
    Granted, it may sound less poetic, but that's what we say in AE (among other things).
    Personally, if you insist on using a form of "to say 'I do'," then I would definitely leave it in the singular: You (both) said "I do in Hawaii."
    Since it is a speech you're translating, perhaps it would help to have the preceding and following lines.

P.S. Welcome to the Forum, Bellamatt!

10. Suehil

Suehil Medemod

Tillou, France
    British English
    Or you could say 'you exchanged vows..' :)

11. Keith Bradford

Keith Bradford Senior Member

Brittany, NW France
    English (Midlands UK)
    :thumbsup:

12. Wordsmyth

Wordsmyth Senior Member

Wouldn't that be more in the register of "Vous avez prononcé vos vœux (de mariage)"? — Or is "se dire oui" used more formally than "say 'I do'"?

13. Bellamatt New Member

Lyon
    Français
    thank you all for your answers,
    the entire sentence is short: "Fanny, Vladimir, vous vous etes dit oui à Hawaï, ce qui donne en Hawaien etc...".
    the problem with tie the knot is that, i will be talking to people who don't understand French but English is not their native language, and it might be too idiomatic for them to understand ...

14. Wordsmyth

Wordsmyth Senior Member

If there's a risk of your audience not understanding colloquial English, Bellamatt, I'd go for something more neutral:
    "Fanny, Vladimir, you were married in Hawaii ..." or "... your wedding was in Hawaii ...".

15. Bellamatt New Member

Lyon
    Français
    it might be what i will use but "se dire oui" was more poetic :'(

16. Wordsmyth

Wordsmyth Senior Member

I think this is a case where 'poetic' might best be abandoned in favour of being understood. I've often addressed non-anglophone audiences in English, and have learned from experience that colloquialisms and native-culture references (unless explained) can often cause misunderstanding, or no understanding at all!

17. wildan1

wildan1 Moderando ma non troppo

I think You said I do to each other might be a more logical way to express this in English. But it's not very poetic to my ear.

If you want to be more informal but alliterative, you could say You got hitched in Hawaii. :D

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  18. Language Hound Senior Member

American English
    :tick: I agree. My suggestion of "You (both) said "I do in Hawaii" might make it sound like
    they both got married to different people in Hawaii!