se encuentra asentada

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by happygringa, Mar 11, 2009.

1. happygringa Senior Member

English Canada
    Please Help Me!

I am translating a Mexican marriage certificate-- the first paragraph is as follows:

EN EL NOMBRE DEL ESTADO LIBRE Y SOBERANO DE AGUASCALIENTES Y COMO DIRECTOR GENERAL DEL REGISTRO CIVIL EN EL ESTADO, CERTIFICO QUE EN EL LIBRO NO 02 DEL ARCHIVO GENERAL DEL REGISTRO CIVIL EN LA FOJA 0493 SE ENCUENTRA ASENTADA EN EL ACTA NO 0493 LEVANTADA POR EL C. OFICIAL 01 DEL REGISTRO CIVIL MARIA DOLORES PONCE MARTINEZ 01 DE SEPTIEMBRE DEL 1997 RESIDENTE EN JESUS MARIA, JESUS MARIA EN LA CUAL SE CONTIENE LOS SIGUIENTES DATOS:

Ayyyyyyyyy!

My version is:

IN THE NAME OF THE FREE AND SOVEREIGN STATE OF AGUASCALIENTES AND AS GENERAL DIRECTOR OF THE CIVIL REGISTRY, I CERTIFY THAT IN THE 2ND VOLUME OF THE GENERAL ARCHIVES OF THE CIVIL REGISTRY OF STATE ON PAGE 0493

And then I get stuck!!!
    What in the world is C.Oficial ??
    And how on earth would I translate the rest of that paragraph?

2. wizardcrack

wizardcrack Senior Member

Mexico
    I just want to know if the orignal paragraph says: "SE ENCUENTRA ASENTADA EN EL ACTA" or "SE ENCUENTRA ASENTADA EL ACTA". I think the latter is right.

Then my attempt would be: IN THE 2ND VOLUME OF THE GENERAL ARCHIVES OF THE CIVIL REGISTRY OF STATE ON PAGE 0493 LIES THE (RECORD/DEED/CERTIFICATE) TAKEN BY THE CIVIL REGISTRY OFFICER (C. OFICIAL(not sure about the order)) MARÍA DOLORES PONCE MARTINEZ ON (DATE) AT JESUS MARIA CITY...... WHICH CONTAINS THE FOLLOWING DATA:

I hope it helps you.

3. Mirlo

Mirlo Senior Member

Missouri
    Castellano, Panamá/ USA
    Se encuentra asentada = there is an entry for
    I do not know what is C. Oficial. Sorry!!!:(

4. Drystane Dyke

Drystane Dyke Senior Member

Edinburgh
    English - UK
    C Oficial is Ciudadano Oficial "Citizen Officer". It's an honorific - sometimes I translate it, sometimes I don't.

It is "EN" el Acta - I am doing a Mexican birth certificate as we speak, and no, it is not grammatically correct, as there simply isn't a subject for the verb asentarse. What I am doing, with a quiet prayer to the gods of translation, is to translate it as if it were indeed "el Acta" rather than "en el Acta"!

5. Drystane Dyke

Drystane Dyke Senior Member

Edinburgh
    English - UK
    What I have finally done is to say (for "se encuentra asentada") "there is an entry".

Who knows!

6. Chochis81 New Member

Spanish
    C. Oficial means "Ciudadano Oficial"