Se entiende por...

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Eugin, May 16, 2006.

1. Eugin

Eugin Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    Argentina (Spanish)
    "Se entiende por innovación académica los mecanismos y procedimientos que impulsen los procesos interactivos de la enseñanza..."

Por favor, ¿me pueden guiar para traducir: "Se entiende por...?

¿Podría ser: With academic innovation we mean/ want to imply.....?:thumbsdown:

Muchas gracias desde ya por sus sugerencias!!!:)
  2. _Cereza_ Junior Member

Meaning for?
    Espera a un nativo ingles :)
  3. Txiri

Txiri Senior Member

USA English
    By "academic innovation", we mean ...
  4. COLsass

COLsass Senior Member

If you're into an impersonal:

What's understood by academic innovation are those mechanisms..

Though my preferences are:

We understand academic innovation as the mechanisms...

Academic innovation is understood as the mechanisms...
  5. Eugin

Eugin Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    Argentina (Spanish)
    Colsass, don`t you think these two options are a little too much literal? :confused: Or do you use those expressions in US?

Thanks for the suggestions!!:)
  6. Jenny.u

Jenny.u Senior Member

Hola a todos!!!

Is it OK to say "We apprehend academic innovation as the mechanisms and..."?

Saludos a todos!
  7. Eugin

Eugin Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    Argentina (Spanish)
    Thanks Txiri, I like your suggestion... can you tell me what level of formality does that phrase have?

8. COLsass

COLsass Senior Member

apprehend is rarely used for anything other than criminals. :)

Eugin, to me they seem normal and pretty "formal writing"--I think to make it a little clearer we might add "here" to the beginning.

Here, academic innovation is/may be understood as the
  9. Txiri

Txiri Senior Member

USA English
    It´s formal enough that I would use it in a scholarly text. "By ___, we mean ...." (signed by more than one author)

Although I would pull a little joke on you. Not to use "we", unless there is more than one of you, or as Mark Twain once said, unless you are an editor, or you have tapeworms.

Sorry about that! It´s a Mark Twain truism, (perfectly good grammatical advice), and I am NOT making fun of the we. It just should be reserved for editorial comments, unless, as I said, there is more than one of you writing.
  10. Jenny.u

Jenny.u Senior Member

Sin embargo, cuando buscas apprehend en la definición además de lo que decís, también aparece lo de understand, grap the meaning of sth.
    1. To take into custody; arrest: apprehended the murderer.
    2. To grasp mentally; understand: a candidate who apprehends the significance of geopolitical issues.
    3. To become conscious of, as through the emotions or senses; perceive.
    To understand something.

To perceive and recognize the meaning of: accept, catch (on), compass, comprehend, conceive, fathom, follow, get, grasp,

Definition: catch and arrest
    Antonyms: lose, not catch

Definition: understand
    Antonyms: misunderstand

The verb apprehend has 3 meanings:
    Meaning #1: get the meaning of something
    get the picture, comprehend, savvy, dig, grasp, compass

Meaning #2: take into custody, as of suspected criminals, by the police
    collar, nail, arrest, pick up, nab, cop

Meaning #3: anticipate with dread or anxiety
    quail at

11. COLsass

COLsass Senior Member

Of course you're right and I probably should've given an example of a use that you were talking about instead of just undermining your comment. Apologies.

The idea is that WE apprehend meaning (as a formal replacement for 'grasp") while they are the ones proposing/planteando a meaning.
  12. Txiri

Txiri Senior Member

USA English
    Still, Jenny, "apprehend" for mental activities is not very usual in AmE, at least. We tend to go more for "comprehend." In any case, all of these words are related to "prehensile", meaning, that we, like the apes our cousins, can grasp something between the fingers and the thumb
  13. Jenny.u

Jenny.u Senior Member

Muchas a gracias por la explicación. Ahora sí. :)

Saludos a todos.