1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

se haberet

Discussion in 'Lingua Latina (Latin)' started by machadinho, Dec 1, 2012.

1. machadinho

machadinho Senior Member

Ancient Brazilian Portuguese
    Hi. I translate temperamentum by constitution, but I can't translate se haberet by were constituted since I'd rather avoid constituted constitution. How would you translate se haberet here?

My attempt:
    If our eyes were bigger or smaller, or if our constitution were set up differently, those things which now [appear] beautiful [would appear] ugly, and indeed those which now [appear] ugly would appear beautiful to us.

Thanks!

2. Scholiast Senior Member

Reading, UK
    English - UK
    salve!

A nice example, this, of how sometimes ideas neatly and epigrammatically expressed in Latin are readily comprehensible, but extremely difficult to translate.

My suggestion: "were our faculties otherwise constituted..."

(I am moved, incidentally, to wonder whether with longiores and breviores Spinoza was not thinking more of long-sightedness and myopia, rather than the size of the eyeballs.)

3. machadinho

machadinho Senior Member

Salve! Thanks for your translation, Scholiast, I appreciate it, and it's much better than mine.

But I have to translate temperamentum by constitution for theoretical reasons, and thus I can't use to be constituted.

And thanks for drawing my attention to myopia; Spinoza was a lens grinder!

4. Scholiast Senior Member

Reading, UK
    English - UK
    Greetings once more

Yes, machadinho, I understand the difficulty, which is as much of philosophy as it is of language.

So "...or our faculties otherwise ordered..."? This would be a slightly old-fashioned way of putting it (it would be so much easier into eighteenth-century Gibbon-ese). But why in heaven's name are you, a Brazilian Portuguese speaker, trying to translate Spinoza into English? My curiosity is aroused.

5. wandle

wandle Senior Member

London
    English - British
    There is no need to use 'be constituted'. aliter se habere means 'to be different'.

Thus: si ... nostrum aliter se haberet temperamentum: 'if our constitution were different'.

6. machadinho

machadinho Senior Member

Yes, I agree it would be enough to say were different. Thanks! :)
    But what is se habere for? When do authors use it?

7. wandle

wandle Senior Member

London
    English - British
    They use it with an adverb in similar grammatical contexts.
    bene se habere: to be well.

8. machadinho

machadinho Senior Member

I see. Thank you!