1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

se puede vs. se pueden

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Macy.Ryan, Nov 25, 2007.

1. Macy.Ryan New Member

English
    heyy everyone,,
    i just wanna ask if someone can help me,, what is the difference between "se puede",, and "se pueden".. thnxxx

2. juandiego

juandiego SE modera

Granada. España
    Spanish from Spain
    puede is in third person singular
    pueden is in third person plural

3. Bee Lady Junior Member

Spain
    USA, English
    Se puede abrir la puerta? - Literally: Can the door be opened? (Better: Can I/you/someone open the door?)

Se pueden abrir las puertas? - Literally: Can the doors be opened? (Or: Can I/you/someone open the doors?

4. Macy.Ryan New Member

English
    muchas gracias juandiego y bee lady,, that was really helpful

5. thedaltonkey Senior Member

PERU
    Peru Spanish
    Ojo, tambien "se puede abrir las puertas"

6. Macy.Ryan New Member

English
    now am confused,, what is the difference,, its my assigment,, and am really confused,, is it connected to the complemento or what,, what difference does it make to say, se puede abrir la puerta?,, y se pueden abrir las puertas?

7. Macy.Ryan New Member

English
    perdon,, la diferencia entre,, se puede abrir la puerta? y se pueden abrir la puerta?

8. lullaby_80)

lullaby_80) Senior Member

Spain - Spanish
    En este caso sería singular. Ej: "Se puede abrir las puertas", "Se debe leer todos los capítulos". Éste es el "se" impersonal. No existe sujeto. El verbo va siempre en tercera persona de singular.

Cuando la oración con "se" equivale a una pasiva, entonces el sujeto determina si el verbo va en singular o en plurar: "Se dijo una mentira", pero "Se dijeron muchas mentiras". Equivale a la pasiva "Una mentira fue dicha"/"Unas mentiras fueron dichas".

9. Macy.Ryan New Member

English
    that was amazing,, thnxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

10. thedaltonkey Senior Member

PERU
    Peru Spanish
    otra pista:
    él puede abrir la puerta -|- él puede abrir las puertas
    ellos pueden abrir la puerta -|- ellos pueden abrir las puertas

Nota el uso de la tercera persona del singular y la tercera persona el plural y su correspondencia en la conjugación verbal.

Aqui te paso un link que te puede ayudar: http://www.wordreference.com/conj/ESverbs.asp?v=poder

11. Forero Senior Member

Houston, Texas, USA
    USA English
    Pueden abrirse las puertas. = Las puertas pueden abrirse = Las puertas se pueden abrir. (The doors can open.)
    Se puede abrir las puertas. = Abrir las puertas se puede. (Opening the doors can be done.)

12. lullaby_80)

lullaby_80) Senior Member

Spain - Spanish
    Forero, you are right ;)

13. martikea Junior Member

spanish
    Your asignement is about Pasiva refleja.You just have to make the concordance with the verb in 3td person,plural or singular. But note there are exceptions.
    It is right to say : Se puede abrir la puerta. Se puede abrir las puertas.
    Although if you write the suject in fisrt order you cannot do it. You must say one of the two deppending on what you want to say(the door can be opened or the doors can be opened):

La puerta se puede abrir. Las puertas se pueden abrir.

14. juandiego

juandiego SE modera

Granada. España
    Spanish from Spain
    Se puede abrir las puertas: the verb is puede and abrir las puertas is a direct object clause.

Se pueden abrir las puertas: the verb is pueden abrir and las puertas is the direct object.

15. martikea Junior Member

spanish
    Yes, if you doubt always do the concordance. Only thing is that for posters an other cases it is allowed not to do the concordance.