1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

secondary occupation

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by superfrog, Aug 15, 2009.

1. superfrog Junior Member

Portugal
    French France
    Good morning,

my thanks go to any of you out there who can provide a snappy translation for 'secondary occupation', as in the occupation of property left vacant by the forced displacement of the original owner.

My onw literal 'occupation secondaire' seems gauche and inadequate.
    Any improvements?

Thank you in adavance for any help, and please enjoy the rest of the week-end...

Yves

2. coursic Senior Member

France
    France French
    In France, if you are the tenant of a place (you rent it) and have to go away, you might "sous-louer" it to another person (providing the owner agrees to it).
    Then the new tenant is the "sous-locataire"

3. superfrog Junior Member

Portugal
    French France
    Thank you for this Coursic,
    in this instance, we are looking at the occupation of property left vacant because the original owners were forced to leave by armed forces; the ensuing long-term occupancy by new 'residents' becoming a legalised 'squat'.
    Not an easy concept to grasp and translate...but translate I must.
    Keep searching, Yves...

4. coursic Senior Member

France
    France French
    I suggest :
    "les occupants illégaux (sans bail)" or the oppsite "les occupants sans bail (illégaux)",
    "bail" being the renting agreement signed between the owner and the people renting the place.

5. superfrog Junior Member

Portugal
    French France
    we are making headway, 'occupants sans bail' might be closer to the facts.
    I am familiar with tenancy agreements but occupancy legalised by Kalashnikovs is new territory to me...
    thanks for your efforts!

6. Punky Zoé

Punky Zoé Senior Member

Pau
    France - français
    Hi

I guess we are in a context of "réquisition", then maybe occupant/occupation après/par réquisition" may work? (Don't know if it is an usual expression...)

7. superfrog Junior Member

Portugal
    French France
    thank you for this; it fits a bit better.
    Yves