1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Securities borrowed and securities loaned

Discussion in 'Financial Terms' started by Papeto, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Papeto New Member

spanish
    I'm translating a Bank report to Spanish an cannot find an adequate translation to the following phrase:

Securities borrowed and securities loaned

In spanish borrowed and loaned seem to be synonyms.

Thanks in advance,
    PAPETO

2. Txiri

Txiri Senior Member

USA English
    They are not synonyms: the bank lends, the client borrows.

I looked up "borrow and loan securities": here is what comes up. From Investopedia:
    Definition of 'Securities Lending' The act of loaning a stock, derivative, other security to an investor or firm. Securities lending requires the borrower to put up collateral, whether cash, security or a letter of credit. When a security is loaned, the title and the ownership is also transferred to the borrower.
    Investopedia explains 'Securities Lending' Securities lending is important to short selling, in which an investor borrows securities in order to immediately sell them. The borrower hopes to profit by selling the security and buying it back at a lower price. Since ownership has been transferred temporarily to the borrower, the borrower is liable to pay any dividends out to the lender.

3. micafe

micafe Senior Member

United States
    Spanish - Colombia
    No, they are not synonyms.

"Borrow" means "tomar/pedir prestado" = "I borrowed money from the bank" = "Pedí dinero prestado al banco"

"Loan" means "prestar". = "The bank loaned me money" = "El banco me prestó dinero".

:)

4. Papeto New Member

spanish
    Thank you for your help. The explanation is clear. But I still don't have a clue as to how this phrase could be worded in Spanish, ¿Can you help?

5. donbeto

donbeto Senior Member

Vancouver (Canada)
    Eng(Canada)
    Títulos/valores recibidos en préstamo y títulos/valores prestados.

6. micafe

micafe Senior Member

United States
    Spanish - Colombia
    :thumbsup: I like it

7. Papeto New Member

spanish
    Thanks everyone for your help. I'm specially thankful to donbeto and micafe for their precise translation :)