1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Seeing Spanish in English Only forum

Discussion in 'Comments and Suggestions' started by Parla, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Parla Senior Member

New York City
    English - US
    Mike, has anyone any idea why at least four forum members (as far as publicly reported), including me, suddenly started seeing headers in Spanish in the English Only forum earlier this afternoon?

Our guesses have ranged from a new form of terrorism (confuse 'em and drive 'em crazy!) to some sort of glitch in the forum software. Or maybe global warming (but that seems remote with NY's weather at the moment).

2. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    Just to say: I had the same experience as Parla. My interface suddenly became Spanish rather than English(US). It was easy enough to sort - but I was intrigued about why it happened:).

3. jann

jann co-mod'

English - USA
    If the language of your entire forum interface changed (and not just that of a select header or two), then in all likelihood you clicked a link some member had posted containing the string langid=24 and leading to another thread/post/etc. here on WR.

Each forum interface language has a number (langid) to identify it; 24 is for Spanish. You can change the language of the forum interface by selecting from the "language chooser" pull-down menu in the blue bar at the bottom of this and every page. You'll notice that the URL of whatever page or thread you're viewing at the time gets &langid= plus a number appended to it. Thereafter, WR remembers the language of your choice via a cookie. If you share the link containing the numerical language identifier with someone else (e.g., by posting it in one of your replies), then everyone who clicks it will also have their forum language changed... until they specifically select a different display language. :)

4. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    Thanks, jann:).

I don't actually recall clicking on a link - but I suppose I must have done!

5. Agró

Agró Senior Member

High Navarre
    Spanish-Navarre
    Yes, it's USS (United Spanish Speakers).

Wait for further notice:cool:.

6. Parla Senior Member

New York City
    English - US
    Thanks, Jann! I don't recall clicking on a link either . . .

And gracias, Agro (sorry, that particular accented "o" doesn't work for me), for confirming my dire suspicions.:eek: