seguridad de sí mismo = self-confidence/assurance

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Watch123, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Watch123 Senior Member

València
    Spanish & Valencian
    Hi, it may seem that self-confidence and assurance are very similar when referring to a person quality. Does anybody know if there may be any small difference as they can be translated as "seguridad en sí mismo"?

Thanks in advance.

2. Madrid829 Senior Member

Ohio
    US English, Great Lakes area
    In the dictionary they can mean the same thing, but in AE for the meaning you want you would most often hear "self-confidence." I see that you're in the UK, though, and I have a feeling this might be different there, so let's see if a BE person can give an answer.

One of the main differences that does exist between the two terms is that assurance often comes from an outside source, while self-confidence is inherently from within.

3. pops91710

pops91710 Senior Member

We often say he is self-assured. That could be mistaken for cocky, sometimes.

4. chicanul Senior Member

SoCal
    english/spanish
    Hi,

I've also seen "self-assurance" translated as "seguridad en tus capacidades"...

5. Maria003 Senior Member

North Carolina
    English - USA
    I thought that "si mismo" didn't have an accent, but I see it here and in the WR thread... So "si" in this case does have an accent?

6. jasminasul Senior Member

Spanish
    Yes María. "Si" doesn´t have an accent when it´s conditional (if).
    Si quieres...
    Si vas a venir...
    etc.