1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

seize new ground

Discussion in 'English Only' started by pumpkin_bird, Feb 24, 2013.

1. pumpkin_bird Junior Member

Korean
    Hi
    I'm reading a book and do not understand what "seize new ground" means.
    The main idea of this book is that the industrial economy has changed to "connection economy", so it's not good to do things you are instructed. Therefore we should be artists and try to make better art. In this case, art doesn't mean painting, music, play, movie, etc.

The original sentence I don't get is this:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Seizing new ground, making connections between people or ideas, working without a map -- these are works of art.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I googled "seize the new ground" and found it is quite often used, but still have no idea.

Thank you for your help!!

2. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    Please tell us the name and author of the book.

3. pumpkin_bird Junior Member

Korean
    It's <The Icarus Deception> by Seth Godin.

4. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    Who knows with these motivational books ... although reading it might shed some light on Godin's concept of "seizing new ground." Since I'm not going to read it, I might guess that it means making something new and unfamiliar your own -- learning a new subject, skill or discipline, perhaps. Conquering/mastering something you thought was beyond you.

(All conjecture.)

5. pumpkin_bird Junior Member

Korean
    Thank you very much.
    Actually I finished this book, but still don't understand the meaning.
    I think "learning a new subject" might be the best guess.