1. MartíPurull New Member

Edinburgh, Scotland
    Catalan and Spanish - Catalonia
    The word "semanada" is not in the Spanish dictionary by the Real Academia de la Lengua. It IS in the prescriptive dictionary of the Catalan language (Diccionari General de la Llengua Catalana, by the IEC) in its Catalan form (setmanada), so I guess it is a Catalan loan word used by some Spanish speakers as "semanada".

The meaning is that of the pay one gets every week; formerly, workers were paid in this way, but nowadays, it is used almost exclusively to refer to kids and teenagers who get some money every week from their parents.
    I'd like to know whether there's a word for this in English.

The context in which the word should be used is that of a father who asks his son: "What do you want? An increase of your 'semanada'?" The son, who is 20, replies with indignation: "I don't have a 'semanada' anymore! I've lived on my own for the past 2 years, you know!?"

I hope it is clearly stated in both original meaning AND context.

Thank you very much!

Salut!

2. kazijistan Senior Member

Chile and Spanish
    ¿A weekly pay, maybe? How do you say in english "mesada", that is to say, the payment that some children receive from their parents every month? "Mesada" comes from "Mes" (Month).

3. Bocha

Bocha Senior Member

Argentina
    castellano
    una posibilidad

allowance

4. Juan Carlos Garling

Juan Carlos Garling Senior Member

Chile/Argentina
    Spanish Chile/Argentina
    In Chile workers still get el semanal, the weekly pay.

The term semanada for weekly pay is unknown in Argentina and Chile. In Chile (not Argentina) there is la mesada, the monthly pay, given :
    1. by parents to their kids for pocket-money
    2. by a divorcee to his wife for the children in her custody, by court decission.
    3. by a man to his lover for her expenses (and favo(u)rs)

Well, if the parts agree to weekly pays, it will still be a mesada, a sum paid for somebody's expenses.

5. Carrie2 Senior Member

Spain
    English, UK
    For the context you mention, MartíPurull, i.e. children/teenagers getting money from their parents, it's pocket money in British English and an allowance in US English (hopefully someone from the US will confirm this). These could be weekly or monthly.

Hope this helps.

6. MartíPurull New Member

Edinburgh, Scotland
    Catalan and Spanish - Catalonia
    Thanks a lot everyone! I also hope an American English native speaker has their word!

It was very useful, thank you!

PD: Gracias a los suramericanos también! La verdad es que las lenguas abren tantas puertas a tanta cultura... No había oído nunca lo de "el semanal" ni "la mesada". Creo que que lo de "semanada" es realmente un catalismo (ay, bilingüismo, qué bueno y qué malo eres...!).

Salut!

7. bfd Senior Member

Ottawa Canada
    Canada - english
    In Canada - "allowance" is very common. This is probably the best.

I have also heard "stipend" used as you describe.

bd

8. fsabroso

fsabroso Moderadiólogo

South Texas
    Perú / Castellano
    Hola MartíPurull:

Maybe would be better if you put your question in the Catalan Forum.

9. Filis Cañí Senior Member

The hills
    Triana, caló
    Weekly allowance.