1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  1. Nbatres New Member

English- Canadian
    Hola!

Quiero traducir esta frase:

"She dedicated so much of her sensual work to women, people assumed she had lesbian inclinations."

No se si se puede traducir la frase "sensual work" como "trabajor sensual" or si debo de cambiarlo a algo que significa que le gustaba mucho trabajar con las mujeres como esto:

"Trabajar con las mujeres fue tan gratificante para ella que la gente suponía que tenía inclinaciones lesbianas."

Gracias!

2. aloofsocialite

aloofsocialite modrageous!

San Francisco / Oakland, CA
    English - USA (California)
    "Se dedicaba con tanto afán a su trabajo sensual con las mujeres que se creía/todos creían que tenía tendencias lésbicas/lesbianas."

Perhaps await a native, but I think that sounds okay.

3. testoduro Senior Member

Español(de España)
    Can you give us some more context? What is meant by 'sensual work'? Was she an artist, a therapist...?

4. Nbatres New Member

English- Canadian
    Sorry!
    The passage is about Sappho, a Greek poetess and lyricist born on the island of Lesbos.

Here is part of the passage:

"Born sometime between 630 B.C and 600 B.C to an aristocratic family, Sappho lived in great privilege until a violent coup sent her into exile. She later married a wealthy merchant and, according to some scholars, became the headmistress of a girls’ finishing school. She dedicated so much of her sensual work to women, people assumed she had lesbian inclinations. (Indeed her birth island, Lesbos, is where the term “lesbian” comes from.)"

Thank you! :)

5. aloofsocialite

aloofsocialite modrageous!

San Francisco / Oakland, CA
    English - USA (California)
    It's as unclear in English as it is in Spanish. :)

Does she sculpt statues of naked women?
    Was she a massage therapist?
    Was she a PE teacher? :rolleyes:

Without a better understanding of the English, I don't know how specific it can be made in Spanish.

6. Nbatres New Member

English- Canadian
    Gracias!!

I've never used the phrase "tanto afán" but I like it! I wasn't sure how to include the "dedicated" part in but I think this might be a good way of doing it. The only thing I'm worried about is if "trabajo sensual" makes sense in spanish? I even find it odd to say in english haha.

7. testoduro Senior Member

Español(de España)
    Buena parte de su sensual obra se la dedicó a las mujeres con lo que se llegó a pensar...

8. fenixpollo

fenixpollo Mod Chicken

Arizona
    American English
    No, she was a poet.
    I like alfonlong's suggestion, especially the word order (which suggests that all of her work was sensual).