Sentate vos (Honduras)

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by JB, Jul 9, 2010.

1. JB

JB Senior Member

Santa Monica, CA, EEUU
    English (AE)
    The film Sin Nombre, concerns a family from Honduras that enters Mexico on its way to the U.S., and a young girl gets involved with a Mara Salvatrucha gang member.

I was surprised to hear the Honduran character use the "vos" form, as in Santate vos. In beginning Spanish, a million years ago, I learned about the "vos tenés" form in Argentina. More recently I learned that it is also used in El Salvador. In studying something about Columbia a couple of years ago, I learned that they have all three forms - Ud., Vos, and Tú - in descending order of formality.

I had never heard of "vos" in Honduras. Has this always been so. Is it a result of influence from El Salvador? And is it used the same way (same conjugations) as Argentina, et al.?
  2. micafe

micafe Senior Member

United States
    Spanish - Colombia
    As far as I know, "vos" is normally used in most of Central America.

It's also used in some parts of Colombia and Ecuador.

I don't know how or why that happened, it's as if this usage had jumped from one part of the continent to the other skipping parts in between.:rolleyes:
  3. swift

swift Senior Member

Spanish – Costa Rica (Valle Central)
  4. elianecanspeak Senior Member

by Lake Michigan
    English - EEUU
    Gracias, swift.
  5. JB

JB Senior Member

Santa Monica, CA, EEUU
    English (AE)
    Gracias a todos.