Sentence enlisting verbs with insertion of -л- in Fp Sing.

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by franknagy, Oct 26, 2013.

1. franknagy

franknagy Senior Member

Hi,
    I had a teacher who taught the consonants forcing insertion of -л- in 1st p. singular with the following phrase about a loud motorbike:
    "A béemvé pufog". Only the "g" is superflous.

Do you know similar short teaching phrases?

Regards
    Frank

2. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    Hi.
    Can you clarify what exactly you mean by -л- verbs in 1st Person and what are these consonants about? You see, Russians learn their native language not the same way like the foreigners do, so I doubt we ever heard about these specific consonants.

3. ahvalj

ahvalj Senior Member

I virtually don't know such phrases, they are apparently not so popular these days and I never encountered them when studying French at school or English at the university. The only two I can ever recall is «Цыган на цыпочках цыплёнку цыкнул "цыц"» from the Russian orthography and «Каждый охотник желает знать, где сидит фазан» for remembering the spectral colors.

As to the verbs you have mentioned, they can be remembered easier: every labial consonant (i. e. pronounced with lips: p, b, f, v, m) has this mutation — the ancient yod changed to the soft l only after them, elsewhere we have sibilants (well, f is a newer sound, it did not exist at the time of yotation in the middle of the first millennium, but the two or three verbs that have this mutation received it by analogy — «графлю, дрейфлю»).

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  4. franknagy

franknagy Senior Member

Thank you Ahvalj,

I did not find the words "цыкнул" and "цыц" in the online dictionaries.
    The yotation is again an unknown phenomenon for me
    because I am only an amateur linguist.
    The concept of
    was touched in the secondary school
    but I think the phrase "A béemvé pufog" was simpler to the poor chemistry students who had to learn many other phone books like that of the organic chemistry.

Regards,
    Frank

5. willem81 Senior Member

Russia
    Russian
    President Putin once said at some press-conference: Знаете, чем отличается ЦК от ЧК? ЦК цыкает, а ЧК - чикает. )

6. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    Цыкать is here in the WR dictionary.

7. ahvalj

ahvalj Senior Member

This phrase is OK for this particular case, but it does not contain an explanation, while realizing that й>ль happens only after labial consonants adds predictability to the grammar, very much like that of the organic chemistry ,-)

8. ahvalj

ahvalj Senior Member

Yotation (or similar terms derived from the name of the letter iota/jota/yod) is a process when the sound "j" affects the preceding consonant, often merging with it into another sound, usually sibilant (š, tš, ž, dž, s, ts, z, dz) or palatal (ļ, ņ). In Hungarian, you have the results of an ancient yotation e. g. in the Imperative: kér: kérj, but fut: fuss, tanít: taníts. In English a recent yotation occured e. g. before the borrowed suffix -ure — press: pressure, please: pleasure, script: scripture.

9. franknagy

franknagy Senior Member

Большое спасибо за объяснения.
    Да. Неподсчитаемые вопросы имеют ответами "дишь" или "потому что заяц волосатый и он не бреется".

+ sugar где "s" значит "ш" как по-венгерски.
    Привет
    Франк