separateness OR separateDness?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by seroca, Feb 2, 2011.

1. seroca Junior Member

San Francisco, Ca.
    Mexico / Spanish
    Hi,

I've noticed that within psychotherapeutic circles, we use the word separatedness (with a middle D, as the opposite of connectedness), however I am unable to find the word in the dictionary or Windows spellcheck. One the other hand, separateness seems to have a similar if not equal meaning.

Is it correct in English to use separatedness?

Thanks!

Seroca

2. owlman5

owlman5 Senior Member

Colorado
    English-US
    No dictionary can keep up with every word that appears in slang or jargon. I can't imagine that "separatedness" tells us anything that "separateness" doesn't. I couldn't find any support for "separatedness" in M-W's unabridged version or in any of the smaller dictionaries that I checked.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  3. Matching Mole

Matching Mole Senior Member

England, English
    Well except that if two (or more things) have been separated they must have once been together, whereas if two things are separate they may never have been. So separatedness would seem to express the condition or feeling of having been separated from something. Separateness merely expresses the quality, state or fact of being separate.

I don't know what is meant by it in psychotherapy, however. And you are right, separatedness is not found in major dictionaries.

4. owlman5

owlman5 Senior Member

Colorado
    English-US
    Mr. Mole has come up with a useful distinction. I think "isolation" would convey that meaning well although it could imply separation from all others rather than from any specific person or group.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  5. seroca Junior Member

San Francisco, Ca.
    Mexico / Spanish
    Interesting. I believe in therapy we do refer to being isolated or separated from, and the longing to reconnect. Therefore I guess we can conclude that in that perspective, separatedness would be the relevant word.