1. HallePuppy Senior Member

Mexico
    English-US
    Hi,

This passage appears in an article I am translating:

"Capacidad emocional. Esto es, saber desconectarse, separar la vida privada de la profesional, tener estabilidad emocional, practicar el autoconocimiento y la autoaceptación de cualidades y limitaciones, poseer seguridad en sí mismo, personalidad, carácter, actitud constructiva y positiva ante la adversidad o la superación de retos, equilibrio, ecuanimidad, serenidad y ser persona por encima de todo."

Can some one tell me what is meant by "ser persona"? Obviously, the literal translating is "to be a person", but what do they mean by that? Can they mean "being a nice person?"

:)

2. Lurrezko

Lurrezko Senior Member

Junto al mar
    Spanish (Spain) / Catalan
    Ser persona formal y cabal. En España es coloquial:

Tendrías que ser un poco más persona y no comportarte así.

Saludos

3. HallePuppy Senior Member

Mexico
    English-US
    Hi! Thank you so much.

So do you think I could translate it as being responsible and sensible, or maybe reliable and upright? Dependable and well-adjusted? Reasonable and prudent? What do you think expresses the idea best?

4. Chris K Senior Member

Tacoma WA, US
    English / US
    ...and be a good person on top of it...

5. Lurrezko

Lurrezko Senior Member

Junto al mar
    Spanish (Spain) / Catalan
    ¡Compórtate como una persona!
    Mejor que tratemos con Juan, es más persona que Pedro.
    No me haría esa jugada, tu hermano es una persona.

Yo creo que la idea no es tanto ser buen tipo sino ser alguien formal, serio, en quien se puede confiar. Pero esperemos la opinión de otro nativo.

Saludos

6. HallePuppy Senior Member

Mexico
    English-US
    Hola!

It sounds like you are talking about someone responsible/reliable and dependable. That would certainly make sense in this context.

Again, thanks!

7. Onager Senior Member

English, Tagalog
    I think the closest way to translate it is "be human"

8. HallePuppy Senior Member

Mexico
    English-US
    "Be human" has to be a regional expression, and very idiomatic. Where I come from (not where I live now), to be human (in English) is purely biological. My Mexican friends would understand the meaning of the Spanish expression, but not my native-English-speaking friends. Nor would they understand if I said, "Be a person." They would say, "Whaaaaat?" Some expressions just don't translate literally from Spanish to English, or vice versa. But then you already knew that!

;)

9. LoganLockwood

LoganLockwood Senior Member

Venezuela
    Español
    When i hear someone isn't a person (in Spanish) it's as if they were trying to say that the refereed person is an animal.

There are good people and bad ass people, but still they are all people. When someone doesn't even get to be considered as people it's because he's just too bad, too rude, too HORRIBLE that it's closer to be just a beast.

So, "ser persona" is to act with respect to others, not to be an excellent and reliable person, but just not to suck at living in a society.

10. Onager Senior Member

English, Tagalog
  11. maidinbedlam

maidinbedlam Moderanged

Vigo, Galicia
    Spanish - Spain
    I agree with Lurrezko's definition, "cabal". This comprises reliable, reasonable, prudent, considerate.
    In English, "a decent human being" comes to my mind.