1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

ser una chica estrecha

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by madredecuatro, Mar 3, 2009.

1. madredecuatro

madredecuatro Senior Member

Hola, intento traducir la siguiente frase:

Cuando volví de Estados Unidos los chicos españoles me perseguían porque pensaban que venía muy experimentada en temas sexuales, ya que en esa época los americanos estaban mucho más adelantados que nosotros. Pero yo les decía: ¡Oye, que yo sigo siendo la misma chica estrecha de antes!

Es algo coloquial, por lo que no tiene que ser una traducción literal, sino que lo que importa es el contexto. Mi intento es el siguiente:

When I came back from the States Spanish guys followed me around because they thought I was very experienced sexually speaking, because at that time Americans were way ahead of us. But I used to say: Hey, I’m still the same … girl that I was before!

2. Yominelle Junior Member

Argentinian Spanish
    Hey, I’m still the same conservative girl that I was before!

Saludos!

3. stretch Senior Member

There's my shot at it. Hope it helps!
    :)

4. madredecuatro

Muchas gracias. Perdón por la tardanza, estaba liada con las meriendas.
    El caso es que yo recuerdo que en Estados Unidos había una palabra concreta coloquial que no era ni conservative ni straitlaced, más acorde con el tono que quiero dar, que es el de una teenager.

¿No se os ocurre ninguno más?

Gracias de antemano.

5. gotitadeleche Senior Member

Texas, U.S.A.
    U.S.A. English
    Maybe prudish or modest?

6. lanueva Senior Member

Illinois
    English - USA
    how about respectable?

7. madredecuatro

It could be prudish because all I remember is that it ended ...ish, but I think it was a different one, maybe more slang or unpolite

8. stretch Senior Member

A mí no se me ocurre otra palabra así, de adolescentes. Pero "prudish" no es de adolescentes. "Straitlaced" o "respectable" son las palabras más neutrales que se me ocurren.

9. riscman Senior Member

Warwick England
    English-English
    how about - I'm the same cuddly girl I was before. seems to relate to the meaning of estrechar

10. stretch Senior Member

Hmmm....maybe cuddly means something different in the USA that in GB. :)

11. bondia

bondia Senior Member

Illes Balears
    English-England
    Para darte alguna pista: demure, decent, bashful, prim, priggish (uno que acaba en ..ish, pero no creo que sea de uso frecuente hoy en día)
    Saludos

12. madredecuatro

Let's see if the word comes out if you imagine this situation: A 13 year old boy from Missouri has a date with his girlfriend, when they are in the car he tries to touch and the girl tells him to stop because he is going too fast. When he arrives home he phones his best buddy and tells him: Man, Lisa is so..., or Lisa is such a ...
    What would he say there?

13. stretch Senior Member

Madre, the situation you describe is VERY different from the way a girl would refer to herself. He would say, "Man, Lisa is so FRIGID." But this has an insulting tone to it, and I doubt a girl would say that about herself, unless she was in dire need of some therapy.

"Straitlaced" has a more positive tone to it, which is why I mentioned it. However, if the other tone is the one you want to transmit, then "frigid" would be the right word.
    :)

14. bondia

bondia Senior Member

Illes Balears
    English-England

But I don't think we're on the right track as to how teenagers would describe Lisa. I doubt if any of the kids I know have ever heard the word straitlaced, and, far less, have they ever been likely to use it! (Unfortunately none of them are around at the moment to throw some light here) There has to be a more colloquial (vulgar, or whatever) word for it. :)

15. riscman Senior Member

Warwick England
    English-English
    Yes it is possible a girl might describe herself as respectable or decent.

16. Metzaka

Metzaka Senior Member

Oz
    "Mexican Spanish"
    How about 'oldfashioned'?

17. jinti

jinti Senior Member

Or simply as a good girl.

18. stretch Senior Member

I still would like to know the intended tone. That is the deciding factor for me.
    Bondia, you are right that a teen girl might not say "straitlaced," but I'm not sure what she would say...thus our dilemma. And again, it depends on whether the girl is using an angry, self-deprecating tone, or a defensive tone that indicates a healthy level of self-esteem.

19. Metzaka

Metzaka Senior Member

Oz
    "Mexican Spanish"
    Pienso que se refiere a 'estrecha' de pensamiento, 'narrow-minded'. No creo que esté haciendo alusión a lo bueno o malo de un punto de vista/manera de ser y otro. Más bien, creo que habla de un pensamiento 'cerrado', a la antigüita (old-fashioned). No sé si no entiendo su concepto de 'estrecha', pero con mi 'español mexicano' es lo que concluyo.

20. riscman Senior Member

Warwick England
    English-English
    taking up the point made by stretch about the tone. I agree it makes a difference.
    The real problem here is that it is difficult to imagine the girl saying anything without sounding a bit ridiculous.
    "ere, I'm a nice girl I am" is what Barbara Winsor often said in the "Carry on ..." films

but..
    English girls do (or did) say ..."I'm not like that!"

21. madredecuatro

Perdonad por la tardanza pero tengo a mis 4 hijos reclamándome.
    Stretch, tú has dado con la traducción de estrecha (valga la redundancia, je,je). La palabra que buscaba era FRIGID. You are right, a girl would never use it to refer to herself, UNLESS she pretends to make fun of it, and that is exactly the situation I try to describe if you read what I wrote. I’m trying to laugh at the boys that pretended to get “easy sex” (sorry, but I can’t explain myself easily in English).

Thank you all.

You’ll see me soon around here, because last night I found in Facebook all my old friends from USA. I left them 21 years ago, when we were 12-15 years old and I forgot part of my English, it’s hard for me to tell them things I want to say.

22. a-nice day! Senior Member

Spanish - Spain
    I guess she's just joking, not at all with a self-deprecating tone, and, if her Spanish is from Spain, I'd say she's talking directly about sex: being a "estrecha" means:

(RAE, 7) Dicho de una persona: que tiene ideas restrictivas sobre las relaciones sexuales.

I don't really know, but what do you say about prudish?

23. gotitadeleche Senior Member

Texas, U.S.A.
    U.S.A. English
    I am glad that madredecuatro found the answer she was looking for, I just want to point out that Traductora Al Espanol mentioned another good word---old-fashioned. I can see a young girl calling herself that. It is commonly used to refer to people with conservative attitudes. It does not carry the self-deprecating tone that madredecuatro was looking for.

Hey, I’m still the same old-fashioned girl that I was before!

24. marielavarela Senior Member

Tandil, Buenos Aires, ARGENTINA
    Argentinian Spanish
    Uds. dicen que narrow-minded no aplica en este contexto? Yo lo veo OK. Tambien prude/prudishUptight? Esta última palabra tiene una connotacion mas negativa no?

25. stretch Senior Member

Traductora, I think you might be mistaken...it isn't just a mindset, but a specific reference to a teen girl's sexuality that is in question.

Mariel, "narrow-minded" is also of negative connotations.

Here's an idea...instead of trying to literally interpret "¡Oye, que yo sigo siendo la misma chica estrecha de antes!"
    in an attempt to remain loyal to the words of the original, let's try what madredecuatro said and shoot for the impact of the original, as an English-speaking teenage girl would say it.
    Maybe, "Hey, I didn't go to America and become a slut!"

26. Dama_J Senior Member

Canada
    English
    Here in Canada a teenager might say "goody-goody" or "goody-two-shoes" to describe someone being uptight or (too) conventional.

From Urban Dictionary -- Goody two shoes: A person (almost always a female) who tries to be as good and "clean" as humanly possible. She is more often than not a staunch conservative and takes pride in her virginity and her practice of abstinence.

I'm still the same goody-two-shoes I was before!

Another option might be "innocent" -- I'm still the same innocent girl I was before! This could be said with a joking tone as you've described, e.g. raising an eyebrow to imply maybe you are not THAT innocent.