Serbian (BCS): The significance of case endings

Discussion in 'Other Slavic Languages' started by vinyljunkie619, May 28, 2013.

1. vinyljunkie619 Senior Member

so-cal
    algerian arabic/american english
    its obvious that Bulgarian, Macedonian and Serbian/Croatian/Bosnian are all mutually intelligible to a high degree, but since Bulgarian and Macedonian haven't retained the case system, would it be plausible to be understood speaking Serbian without case endings but having a solid word order?
    Just one of those things I wonder about.
    Thanks.

2. Duya Senior Member

Not in WR world
    Whatever
    Understood -- well, pretty much yes. Like English without articles and using only present tense of verbs.

3. FairOaks Junior Member

Sofia
    Bulgarian
    What kind of universal word order would you propose? Bulgarian word order isn't strictly SVO, you know.
    I actually think it'd be easier if I learnt their case endings. Not every single declension table, of course, but merely which sound a word might end with. For instance, I suppose that in the dative singular, it must be something along the lines of –u / –e, –i. However, this is not really the topic, so I'll just discontinue my conjectures.

4. Duya Senior Member

Not in WR world
    Whatever
  5. DenisBiH

DenisBiH Senior Member

Let's see:

On vozi auto tvoja sestra.

Is he driving your sister's car (On vozi auto tvoje sestre), or is he driving your sister in a car (On vozi autom tvoju sestru), or is he driving the car to your sister (On vozi auto tvojoj sestri)? It seems to me that bez padeži communication can become confusing pretty quickly. You'd probably also need to start using prepositions where they're not normally used (**On vozi auto od tvoja sestra).

6. FairOaks Junior Member

Sofia
    Bulgarian
    Thanks a bunch for the links. I really like the alteration of endings in the nominative and accusative plural according to gender.
    Well, that's it. All I need is a like-structured conjugation table for dummies, and I'm ready to go.
    On a more serious note, I still think the biggest problems would be understanding foreign speech and unknown words.

Exactly. And if you start using prepositions as we do, what's the point of a fixed word order?

7. Duya Senior Member

Not in WR world
    Whatever
    There's one at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serbo-croatian_grammar#Nouns .

Daniel's blog also has a few pages with tables describing case agreement with prepositions, which is generally a toughie. You Bulgarians would probably say "why would I need a case if I already have a preposition?"... and be right. :)

8. FairOaks Junior Member

Sofia
    Bulgarian
    Yeah well, I only needed some conjugation charts (i.e. verbal inflection). I went through the whole thing, though, purely out of interest.
    As I said, words I'm unfamiliar with, I would stumble over more than anything else. Let's say I know your conjugation and declension patterns well enough. So, what would really happen if I were put on the spot, is pretty much the following:
    "I (did something) from the university (attr.) (some noun) to the (some kind of) workplace via/through/with a (some object), unlike he who (does something) in a (some sort of) way."
    Okay, I basically understand all the relations in the given sentence, but I haven't the faintest idea what happened.