1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Serbian (BCS): To what do I owe this pleasure/honor? ["How do I come to this honor?"]

Discussion in 'Other Slavic Languages' started by Pepeljuga, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Pepeljuga New Member

Berlin
    Serbian
    Hi :)
    How can I say, how do I come to this Honor ? I want to say it in serbian.

2. TriglavNationalPark

TriglavNationalPark Senior Member

Chicago, IL, U.S.A.
    Slovenian (a.k.a. Slovene)
    MOD NOTE: Welcome to our forum, Pepeljuga! What exactly is the context of this phrase? We're not all that strict about requiring context in this particular subforum, but your phrase is pretty unusual. It's certainly not a common, modern-day English expression. In fact, occurs most frequently in old religious texts. (Sample sentence: "You see that Joseph could never have come to this honor [of becoming a "great man"], and have done all the good he did, if he had not suffered what he did, and been sold by his brethren, and carried into Egypt and put into prison.")

Where did you encounter this phrase? Is the context religious in nature, or merely archaic? I feel that our Serbian foreros may benefit from any additional information you may be able to provide.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  3. MsCooper New Member

German
    I suppose it's a literal translation of a very common German phrase (Wie komme ich zu der Ehre? or Was verschafft mir die Ehre?) that could be translated as "to what do I owe this pleasure/honor", expressing (with a hint of sarcasm) surprise, for instance in the context of an unexpected telephone call or visit.

I'm not a native speaker, but maybe you could use "zahvaliti" to convey a similar meaning as in the German phrase: čemu/kome mogu zahvaliti na ... ?

4. Vanja Senior Member

Serbian
    MsCooper - :thumbsup:! :)

zahvaliti - to thank

Kome (mogu/možemo/sa može) zahvaliti na/za....? // Коме (могу/можемо/ се може) захвалити на/за...?
    (Mogu = 1.person sing: To whom can I... ?)
    možemo/se može = impersonal: Whom to thank for...?)

Kome (mogu) da zahvalim na .... (nečemu)?

(Kome for a person, Čemu for а thing)
    Коме (могу) да захвалим на....(нечему)?
    Коме (могу) да захвалим за... (нешто)?

More ironically:
    Kome da zahvalim za ovu (ukazanu) čast? // Коме да захвалим за ову (указану) част?

I'm graced by your ....You've graced me with your...:
    Udelili ste mi čast vašim.../ / Уделили сте ми част вашим...
    Počastvovanm [Počastvovanaf ] sam vašim.... // Почаствован(a) сам вашим....
    Činite mi čast vašim.... // Чините ми част вашим....

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  5. Pepeljuga New Member

Berlin
    Serbian
    Thank you

:)

6. TriglavNationalPark

TriglavNationalPark Senior Member

Chicago, IL, U.S.A.
    Slovenian (a.k.a. Slovene)
    MOD NOTE: Thank you so much for your explanation, MsCooper! (And thanks to Vanja for taking over from there.)