Serbian "I'm never having kids"

Discussion in 'Other Slavic Languages' started by Linguistadora, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Linguistadora New Member

English-American/Serbian
    I was wondering how you would say "I'm never having kids" or "I will never have kids" in Serbian.

Hvala! ;)

2. Duya Senior Member

Not in WR world
    Whatever
    [Ja] nikad neću imati decu. (with the pronoun, it comes across more stressed).

I'm curious: how "I'm never having kids" come to be grammatical in English? I would never apply present continuous on "have kids".

3. Tassos

Tassos Senior Member

Maybe because it is a very long process or maybe because you want to decribe it as an ongoing process.
    To me present continuous sounds very natural and anyway since simple present is out of the question how else are you going to express it?

4. Jeki Junior Member

Belgrade
    Serbian
    Nikad neću imati decu.

While thinking of this sentence it seems ambiguous to me, that is 1) I don't want children and I am not going to have chidren and 2) Unfortunately, I will never have children (I can not have them).

The same ambiguity exists in English too.

5. Duya Senior Member

Not in WR world
    Whatever
    Naturally, I would say "I'm never going to have kids". When I Google "I'm never having", >90% results refer to children, so that must be some sort of idiom.

I suppose we should continue this sub-thread in English-only subforum (and if a moderator obliges, I wouldn't mind).

6. Sobakus Senior Member

The difference between the two actually is exactly as described by Jeki:

I'm never having children = I don't want to have them
    I'm never going to have children = I can't have them

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  7. Duya Senior Member

Not in WR world
    Whatever
    Thanks Sobakus. In that case, the intention could be more precisely expressed with:

Ne želim da [ikad] imam decu. 'I don't want to [ever] have children.'

although the sentence Jeki and I proposed earlier is simpler, and the intended meaning likely distinguishable from context.