Serbian: nogu ili sa stolice

Discussion in 'Other Slavic Languages' started by kloie, Jan 23, 2013.

1. kloie Senior Member

houston tx
    american english from texas
    I would like a translation of this sentence It is from an interview with Boško.
    S: Da li je ženu lakše oboriti s nogu ili sa stolice?
    - Ljude do kojih vam je stalo teško je oboriti s nogu.

thanks in advance

2. Duya Senior Member

Not in WR world
    Whatever
    There is a word play involved here: oboriti s nogu is an idiom, meaning 'to amaze', 'to knock somebody down', i.e. to positively shock someone; usually by charming or just by good-looking. Sa stolice means just that, '[knock] off the chair'.

I found the interview in question (with Boško Jakovljević, model, designer and presenter, i.e. a good-looking guy). The question is, in my opinion, rather meaningless: just a failed attempt at humor, i.e. a bad pun. His answer wasn't particularly imaginative, too.

3. kloie Senior Member

houston tx
    Thank you so much I thought that it was an idiom because oboriti=to overpower, so i guess it can be like to overpower with good looks and charm right?

4. Duya Senior Member

Not in WR world
    Whatever
    Yes. I think the closest English verb is 'stun'.

Basically, it can be anything positive:

Metallica je na koncertu oborila publiku s nogu.

5. kloie Senior Member

houston tx
    ok I think I got a clearer meaning of this expression This is used like saying it is hard to impress,delight people who already know you like friends and family right?

6. Johnny Milutinović

Johnny Milutinović New Member

Serbia
    Serbian
    Another solution could be knock someone dead.

7. mmbata

mmbata Junior Member

Novi Sad (Vojvodina)
    Serbian & Croatian
    Hi there,

oboriti s nogu - to knock someone dead, to do something so well or look so attractive
    oboriti sa stolice - knock someone down (literally)
    The question is an example of lousy humor. In addition, neither the answer sounds reasonable to my ear.

Regards